Home Open Account Help 198 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Refreshing To See Smoke In The Sky

Date: 06/09/19 16:02
Refreshing To See Smoke In The Sky
Author: spsniper

It is kinda funny nowadays how railfans don't mention diesels "smoking it up" anymore.
Back in the days burning of the "Carbon Soot" was standard practice after diesels sat all night or day!

Cleaner Tier technology has all but eliminated that practice. Here is just one engine not adhering to the 
current standard, and it makes you realize how that smoke element for good or bad has been taken away from railroading photos!

Even though engines burn cleaner, for railfans no sound, no smoke and no sand it is just not the same.

Here he is doing it the old way. I can tell you it looked and sounded really good and really that is what attracted many of us to trains in the first place!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/19 19:20 by spsniper.

Date: 06/09/19 16:03
Re: Smoke In The Sky
Author: spsniper

One more!

Date: 06/09/19 17:14
Author: SantaFeRuss

Good ole C44-9W on the Smoke!!

SantaFeRuss

Date: 06/09/19 17:22
Author: wirelessenabled

I for one do not miss locomotives "smoking it up" at all.  Just as I am happier not breathing the gasoline fumes from the old 50s, 60s and 70s cars.

Date: 06/09/19 19:08
Re: Refreshing To See Smoke In The Sky
Author: stevelv

Smoke em if you got em.  These are GE's but they remind me of the reasons I've always loved Alco's because of the sound and the great smoke show

Date: 06/09/19 19:18
Author: jdw3460

I recall seeing a picture of Santa Fe mail train No. 8 departing La Junta, CO with a brace of 5 aged Alco PA/PB's.  They literally put out more smoke than a steam engine.  Those were the days.

Date: 06/10/19 06:20
Author: BAB

stevelv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Smoke em if you got em.  These are GE's but they
> remind me of the reasons I've always loved Alco's
> because of the sound and the great smoke show

Then you must really like those diesel pickups people modify to lay down enough to be considered a smoke screen. Never missed smoking diesels of any kind to me was just another enigne that was not running properly.

Date: 06/10/19 07:55
Author: ntharalson

These days, smoking locomotives are almost always sick ones, with some problem or another.  And while I do agree it's nice not to have to inhale that stuff,
it's also nice to occasionally see it.  Thanks for posting.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/19 08:40 by ntharalson.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds