Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Redundant mileposts on the P+W

Date: 06/15/19 21:23
Redundant mileposts on the P+W
Author: HH

While reviewing some of my photos last year, I happened to notice that 2 different local locations had a MP699.
Hmmm.  I wonder: could I shoot a train passing both of these on one trip?
The Westsider!  Oh, wait.  It's only light enough in the summer, since it passes these locations early in the morning.

Now it’s summer! (almost…June 15th)  I’ve waited many months for this opportunity!
Here is the P+W 3369, 2307, and 2301 dragging 5 loads and 15 empties from Albany toward McMinnville, Oregon.

1. Flying backward, pacing the train; MP699 at Ashahr (Toledo Branch), 6:00 am.  Altitude: 13 meters.
(the near track is where the P+W Roseville traffic is staged during the week)

2. 12 miles and 55 minutes later, after ‘rounding the horn’ at Corvallis Jct. and getting on the Westside Branch, the train arrives at MP699, Wellsdale.

Hopmere Hank

Date: 06/15/19 21:31
Re: Redundant mileposts on the P+W
Author: Railbaron

I'm sure you already know this but for those not familiar with the area:

While there are duplicated mileposts on different lines, and they don't necessarily line up with any actual mileages for the P&W, they are not redundant. Being as how the Westside Branch and Toledo Branch were separate lines, and all mileposts were from San Francisco, there would be duplicate mileposts on these lines and all over Oregon on ex-SP lines.

Date: 06/15/19 21:42

Yep, I did know that, but thanks for adding this important clarification.
I know that there are several other common mileposts on these same two branches, but these were both accessible via car.

HH

Date: 06/15/19 22:22

If you want a challenge you could pick up another MP 699 shot on the now UP mainline just south of Jefferson; don't remember exactly where the MP is but it could be on the bridge south of Jefferson.

Date: 06/16/19 11:22
Author: EsPee1229

And a 699 on the former Coos Bay branch, now Coos Bay Rail Line (CBRL).

Date: 06/16/19 11:48

Railbaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> another MP 699 shot on the now UP mainline just south of Jefferson;

EsPee1229 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And a 699 on the former Coos Bay branch,

Thanks, but the goal was to get these with just one train, and on the same trip.  If there's another train that goes by duplicate mileposts in the same trip, please let me know!

HH

Date: 06/16/19 11:52

Ah, got ya'.

Date: 06/16/19 16:42
Author: ns1000

I like the look of Pic 1!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0373 seconds