Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > No Casey's General Store in Casey, Iowa

Date: 07/02/19 14:27
No Casey's General Store in Casey, Iowa
Author: twjurgens

Casey, Iowa???  Knowing that Casey's General Stores had their origins in Iowa,  my first thought was "I'll bet that's the home of Casey's General Store!"  Nope.....not a Casey's to be found.  A disappointment in an otherwise good day. It is a good photo location though!  The first 2 shots are of the first westbound trip of the day going through Casey at about 9:30 last Saturday morning.  The next is of the last westbound trip of the day around 1:30. (more)

Date: 07/02/19 14:29
Re: No Casey's General Store in Casey, Iowa

​The last three shots are of the train deadheading to Anita for the overnight stay.  The next day, trips were ran both directions out of Anita.   This rail line is the former Rock Island's Chicago to Denver main line.  Wouldn't it have been something to have seen one of their big Northern type steamers rounding this curve?  ....or the Rocky Mountain Rocket roaring through?? 

Date: 07/02/19 14:36
Author: KimHeusel

Nice pictures. I've been through or past Casey numerous times. With the number of Casey's General Stores that seem to be found in just about every little burg in that part of the country, I'm surprised there isn't one there.

Kim Heusel

Date: 07/02/19 14:49
Author: rfdatalink

The first Casey's was in Boone Iowa in the 1960s.   It's base of operations has always been in the Des Moines area.   The headquarters is now in Ankeny Iowa just north of Des Moines.

Stephen

Date: 07/02/19 15:43
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!

Date: 07/02/19 16:43
Author: bankshotone

rfdatalink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first Casey's was in Boone Iowa in the
> 1960s.   It's base of operations has always been
> in the Des Moines area.   The headquarters is
> now in Ankeny Iowa just north of Des Moines.
>
> Stephen

The original building in Boone is still standing, it is owned by the Boone schools and is currently being used as storage.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/02/19 16:54
Author: callum_out

The Casey's is next ramp West in Adair.

Out

Date: 07/03/19 06:12

Thanks everyone!  Didn't know the first one was in Boone.

Date: 07/03/19 09:08
Author: santafe199

Hard to believe there's NO Casey's in a small town next door to Husker Na... I mean Husker IOTD-land! Good job, my friend. Looks like I'm gonna have make that trip up there I keep yakking about, and take some Husker lessons! :^)

Willie W

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/19 09:09 by santafe199.

Date: 07/03/19 12:04
Author: route56

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hard to believe there's NO Casey's in a small  town next door to Husker Na... I mean Husker IOTD-land!

Huh? If anything, Casey, Iowa is in Cyclone Country 😎🌪🐦

Richie Kennedy
Lawrence, KS
route56.com

Date: 07/03/19 12:57
Author: santafe199

route56 Wrote: > ...  Huh?

Hmmm... And I thought jayhawks knew how to read (chuckling). Perhaps you missed my phrase "Next door to"... It's a bit of poetic license to honor the fact that my good friend & today's IOTD shooter Tom lives in Lincoln, NE. Although he got a passport to wander into Iowa. And I've heard a rumor or 2 that the good folks of Husker Nation actually allow Lincoln to be a part of Husker Nation... ;^)

Willie W

Date: 07/03/19 14:07
Author: trainmanwes

Hey Tom great photo work, your on track with the prows  I.E.  Santa Fe 199  plus others.

Wes

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0568 seconds