Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > PRB News update Tue, Wed

Date: 07/02/19 17:36
PRB News update Tue, Wed
Author: fbe

Word about possible financing, Governor's involvement and Liz Cheney's politization of the matter.

https://trib.com/business/energy/what-we-know-about-the-wyoming-mine-closures-governor-speaks/article_4d1915ed-06d8-530a-8803-de5232458493.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/19 10:20 by fbe.

Date: 07/02/19 18:53
Re: PRB News update
Author: AaronJ

LOL at Liz Cheney! Oh the irony that cheap natural gas emanating from policies connected to her father's admin just might be a bigger part in this than Obama's "War on coal". Can't make this stuff up!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/02/19 20:26

As long as she talks like that she can move from DC to Wyoming where she has never lived before and win a congressional office in a statewide election.

What's more important is news is some outside money may be coming to support a mineowner in bankruptcy to stave off liquidation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/19 20:29 by fbe.

Date: 07/03/19 08:52
Author: coach

When will coal people finally understand that natural gas is cheap and plentiful and cleaner, all with no ash waste--ofcourse power plants will switch over.  They just can't seem to grasp that simple concept. As for the President Obama blame game, that just shows ignorance.  It's a money thing--gas is CHEAPER.

Sometimes it feels like people just WANT to keep their heads buried in sand...

Date: 07/03/19 09:01
Author: Lackawanna484

The combination of natural gas as a back up for either solar or wind is also a potent challenger to coal.  Back in the old days, "peak power" natural gas plants supplemented always on coal plants.

There's a huge amount of power storage being installed for solar and wind, too. Some of which avoids the use of rare earth elements controlled by China.

Date: 07/03/19 09:11
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

Is it true that some of the four track mainline portion of the Orin Line has been de-activated as they no longer need four tracks?  Can anyone give a rough count of the numer of loaded coal trains that are exiting the PRB Orin Line on the north end and south end in a 24 hour period?  I was in Gillette a few years ago and there didn't seem to be all that much traffic.  Who's the bigger player?  UP or BNSF?    

Date: 07/03/19 09:21

I haven't heard of any plans to rebuild ANY coal fired power plants reaching the end of their life expectancy in the next 5 years. I do see lots of new windfarms going in nearby though.

Date: 07/03/19 09:34
Author: howeld

CA_Sou_MA_Agent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it true that some of the four track mainline
> portion of the Orin Line has been de-activated as
> they no longer need four tracks?  Can anyone give
> a rough count of the numer of loaded coal trains
> that are exiting the PRB Orin Line on the north
> end and south end in a 24 hour period?  I was in
> Gillette a few years ago and there didn't seem to
> be all that much traffic.  Who's the bigger
> player?  UP or BNSF?    

I was out there in May. BNSF is storing cars at each end of 4 track Logan hill section. 4-5 trains worth of coal cars.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/03/19 09:44
Author: howeld

This spring PRB has been loading an average of 50 trains a day.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/03/19 10:19

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds