Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cumbres & Toltec Snip from Today

Date: 07/07/19 17:16
Cumbres & Toltec Snip from Today
Author: dtoeppen

Durango & Silverton has less smelly coal...

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/07/19 19:17
Re: Cumbres & Toltec Snip from Today
Author: upengr21

I road the train in ELY last weekend behind coal burner. It was terrible with smoke coming in the coaches through the open doors.

Date: 07/08/19 06:53
Author: WW

Both the C&TS and the D&S get the same grade coal from the same mine . . .

Date: 07/09/19 01:26
Author: dtoeppen

I was thinking about this more. I think more windows were open on C&TS than D&S. That may have contributed to my perceptions.

Date: 07/09/19 03:52
Author: SPDRGWfan

Nice to see a steam engine running without a baby sitter diesel!

Date: 07/09/19 10:53
Author: gregscholl

One of my all-time favorite railroads, including back in the old D&RWG days.  If you have never been to this place, you are depriving yourself of some of the best steam action in the WORLD.  64 Miles of steam railroading, 2 tunnels, 10,015 foot Cumbres pass, and much more.  The clip shows one of the more interesting locations with its rock formation spires.  This is westbound at Phantom Curve.
When I rode I was about 2-3 cars back from the engine, on a platform the whole way, enjoying those cinders and smoke, and better to hear the engine working on this steady upgrade.  One could spend several days here both riding and chasing.
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 07/09/19 16:18
Author: butchc

We have been on both. My wife prefers the D&S and I prefer the C&T. Neither the smoke nor the noise bother us. I imagine early-day passengers endured both as well.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/12/19 19:52
Author: dcfbalcoS1

What 'road' were you on when you 'rode' the train. . . .

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0301 seconds