Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Black Mesa & Lake Powell Morning Run (AZ)

Date: 07/13/19 09:38
Black Mesa & Lake Powell Morning Run (AZ)
Author: erielackawanna

Much like many others, I was prompted by the upcoming closing of the Navajo Generating Plant in Page AZ to make the trek to the remote Black Mesa & Lake Powell.  While I have tons of great information (much from folk here who kindly sent detailed scouting reports) arriving there, seeing the facility was so far back from the road that it's hard to make anything out, and seeing no activity or lights, we were pretty concerned (we were working on two hours sleep also, having been in LA that evening). We found a good spot south of the plant and waited. Finally, we gave up and drove back to the plant, only to see the headlights were lit on the mine train. We rushed back to our spot and got it passing the plant. We hit two more spots along Route 96 and then ran down the long "dead spot" to Route 160, where we headed west (we had more than one day, so figured we'd try the dirt roads between on our last day). We caught up with the train at the curve at Cow Springs and from there the chase was on. We shot the train a few more times the whole way to the tippler. From there we drove back to Page to sleep at our motel. In hindsight that wasn't the way to do this. Too many pointless miles.

Images one and two are just outside of Page is the morning mine train gets started.

Date: 07/13/19 09:38
Re: Black Mesa & Lake Powell Morning Run (AZ)

Images three and four are from spots along Route 96 before the tracks and road diverege.

Date: 07/13/19 09:39

Images four and six are at the big curve in Cow Springs. 

Date: 07/13/19 09:40

Images seven and eight are at two different crossings near the Shotno market.

Date: 07/13/19 09:41

Last two images are near the end of the line as the train slowed for the tippler (and I was able to grab a clean roster of the lead unti)

Date: 07/13/19 10:15
Author: callum_out

Very different shots from what have been posted, kinda sad. I have shots from very early on and the thought
that it would someday end never entered my mind. There's still plenty of coal, it's a shame that the plant retrofit
would be so expensive. Ah progress.

Out

Date: 07/13/19 11:25
Author: brc600

Does 3 units rather than four indicate less coal to haul?

Also, are there still plans to scrap everything?

Date: 07/13/19 11:27

Three units and shorter train were, I believe, just a temporary fluke while I was there. They are back up to four now, I've heard.

Don't know final plans.

Date: 07/13/19 11:32
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photos, Charles.  Looks like your time in Chile getting experience with big vistas has paid off in your photography here as well.

Rich

Date: 07/13/19 13:11
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch.
JB

Date: 07/13/19 13:14
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series!

Larry

Date: 07/13/19 14:26
Author: exhaustED

Nice shots. Is it definitively known when the last train will run on the line?

Date: 07/13/19 16:22
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 07/13/19 19:08
Author: goneon66

great images in some great scenery.  thanks for making the trip and bringing them to us...........

Date: 07/14/19 05:43
Author: ns1000

Very nice...!!

Date: 07/14/19 07:52
Author: zorz

Well done! I need to get out there before they’re gone...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.051 seconds