Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BM&LP Thursday, start of a new week; Friday addendum

Date: 07/18/19 06:59
BM&LP Thursday, start of a new week; Friday addendum
Author: fbe

I got to the power plant overlook @ 0640. The train power is along the west side of the engine shed not coupled to the train. I could not tell on the drive by if the lead is NdeM like the last time or the home road power.

The crew will need to make a full walking air test so it will be over an hour before it will be ready to leave.

An 0745 drive by from the hiway revealed power being switched around at the engine shed. Perhaps the BM&LP white unit will come out on the point. Still an hour or more for departure. I did see a pick up coming the length of train my guess would be from installing a freshly charged EOT. No track inspection hyrail vehicles yet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/19 06:48 by fbe.

Date: 07/18/19 10:52
Re: BM&LP Thursday, start of a new week for the crew

A train pulled under the hiway at 0820. Imagine my surprise to see the 022 electric, two ballast loads and the MK rebuild.

The train got to Midway which is the name of the double track with the supstation and section house 0940.

The train is now around Cow Springs dumping.

Track rider tells me no coal trains Wednesday AND Thursday both dayz for track work.

Date: 07/18/19 11:45
Author: F7sForever

Yeah, but check out your bad self! Got the ultra rare MK on an ultra rare work job. Nice work! Is that other E60 one of the ones you haven’t seen yet? Nice catch!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/18/19 12:36
Author: SP8595

Awesome catch!

Date: 07/18/19 13:16

The work near mp 65 or so is done and the work train is nearly home. It should arrive at the power plant before 1400.

That means there will be an mty departure between 1400 - 1500 today.

So mow goes Wednesday all day and Thursday daylight.

Talk to y'all again Friday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/19 13:53 by fbe.

Date: 07/18/19 13:58

I have 3 more of the MK rebuilds under my belt from when they were covering the St Marys River RR while MK rebuilt their fleet of ex MILW GP9 and SW120P power. It was nice to finally capture the hidden one.

Date: 07/18/19 14:00
Author: CPR_4000

Trackwork on a railroad that's this close to shutting down? Hmm.

Date: 07/18/19 18:44
Author: highgreengraphics

Great catch on the MK rebuild! === === = === JLH

Date: 07/18/19 19:28

Salt River Projects is contracted to do line maintenance for the duration of the contract. They will do ballasting and lining or forfeit the contract.

Lots of 1999 and 2000 115# rail with little ball wear. Solid wood ties and sections of concrete ties and some sections where the concrete was changed back to wood.

Date: 07/18/19 20:32

For all practical purposes the reservation is closed to the public. Gates are locked except for a few roads which have enough people living off the paved roads to justify leaving the gates open. Road quality varies and I don't recommend anything less than AWD if you don't know the road.

There are a number of concessionaires who open locked roads and drive tourists through the Antelope Canyons in air conditioned vans or open pick ups to see the scenery and slot canyons. Their parking lots are all full all day long.

While trying to negotiate railroad crossing access from several concessionaires I was denied at every attempt. The Navajos and the Feds make the rules and any violation will result in loss of the concession and fines.

Every concession attendent I talked to from 3 different companies knew about talks going on for a tourist train operation. It would be an extension of the existing back roads operation. One was talk of a steam failing to understand 90% of their world riders just want the a/c to work.

Date: 07/19/19 06:54
Re: BM&LP Thursday, start of a new week; Friday addendum

Friday 0650 the power is on the train and it may be shorter than 50 cars.

I have seen 5 separate electrics on the line three have rooftop a/c the other pair must be hot this week.

My ATT cellular data is slow and sometimes unavailable.

Date: 07/19/19 07:12
Re: BM&LP Thursday, start of a new week; Friday addendum
Author: Lackawanna484

This is a great series of reports, keep 'em coming.

I'm impressed AT&T cellular is providing good coverage in parts of the area.

Date: 07/19/19 09:13
BM&LP; Friday addendum activities

The train pulled while I was typing the first thread and I didn't see them and golly gee 4 electrics sure are quiet under load about 50' away.

Power plant pull 0655

Cow Springs area mp 53.5 crossing 0815

Loadout arrival 0855 exactly 2 hours running time

Power is 034, 036, 038, 039
034 and 036 are a/c equipped and 036 is the white BM&LP unit.

Time for me to get breakfast while they load.

The loading was completed 1000

Air test and inspection were over at 1035 and the train pulled.
The train cleared the loading silo and did their tests about 100 yards short of the public crossing at mp 79.8.

The tall bridge at Cow Springs time 1115 where the train starts the climb.

Time at the railroad culvert crossing about mp 44 was 1130.

The train should arrive early enough to run the 1400 mty.

I left the train to poke around and explore possible photo locations for my last two days on the line.

If you are thinking of coming down in the next 5-6 weeks go to the Navaho Nation website for national parks for certain actions which are frowned upon or even illegal.

Once here near Tonalea on hwy 160 stop at the elephant legs rocks for a pause. These are an important historical part of Navaho culture where they pray for people to learn harmony. I can think of one place where we should send about 100 pounds of these area rocks but I won't mention any names account I have experienced the aura.

Back with more this afternoon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/19 14:35 by fbe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0731 seconds