Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > After Amtrak Passed

Date: 08/12/19 06:17
After Amtrak Passed
Author: twjurgens

After scotty and I got the shots of Amtrak last Saturday (https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4846146), we headed down to Berks siding northwest of Crete thinking we might find something waiting there.  There was no train there but we noticed that the signals didn't go dark but stayed red long after Amtrak cleared.  That meant that a westbound train would be coming our way. 

We hung around visiting with a railfan friend and soon BNSF 3871 arrived with a string of short hoppers.  We had seen this one in Lincoln earlier.  Dave indicated that scanner talk he had heard indicated that there would be an eastbound train and possibly another westbound. 

We headed west to scout for photo locations west of Crete.  At Crete, we found 3171 and an associate parked in the siding.  This is the Crete switch power and is used on locals out of there. 

At a crossing a couple of miles west of Crete, 6547 had a train of empty TTX flats eastbound.

(more)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/19 06:18 by twjurgens.

Date: 08/12/19 06:17
Re: After Amtrak Passed
Author: twjurgens

While we were waiting for 6547, we heard distant honking east of us.  That meant something going into the siding at Berks!  As soon as 6547 cleared there, 4205 and 7090 with 7691 as dpu were allowed to go west with what appeared to be a loaded sand train.  This shot is at Dorchester, the next station west of Crete. 

We don't often go down that way but may need to reconsider!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/19 06:19 by twjurgens.

Date: 08/12/19 08:08
Author: bmarti7

Very nice Tom - thanks for sharing.

BB

Date: 08/12/19 08:10
Author: santafe199

twjurgens Wrote: > ...  We don't often go down that way but may need to reconsider ...

Sounds peachy to me! That short and very successful little soiree you & I had was all the convincing I need... :^)

Willie W

Date: 08/12/19 08:36
Author: King_Coal

Nice photos of a place that a little patience is required to see trains v. just heading east of Lincoln and seeing them standing in line. Is the old Q depot still standing?

Date: 08/12/19 10:13
Author: wpjones

The Depot finally came down maybe 5 years ago. It had been given to the Crete mill to do with as they pleased. The late Harold Jones did save the ticket window and neon sign off the north side. Its now preserved in a Bar in down town Crete.
Steve

King_Coal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photos of a place that a little patience is
> required to see trains v. just heading east of
> Lincoln and seeing them standing in line. Is the
> old Q depot still standing?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds