Home Open Account Help 401 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Oregon Trunk derailment

Date: 08/12/19 10:44
Oregon Trunk derailment
Author: Seventyfive

NB BNSF derailed 10 miles north of Madras, Oregon early this morning after hitting boulders which had
fallen on the main.  Five locos reportedly on the ground.  See KTVZ.com for a brief story.

Date: 08/12/19 10:55
Re: Oregon Trunk derailment
Author: stevelv

Date: 08/12/19 12:27
Author: ActionMike

http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/7359533-151/train-hits-boulder-north-of-madras

The crew is off safe. Happened at mp 88.5. 800 feet of track ripped up. In an area that has slide fences but they did not activate. Expected 12 to 24 hour closure. Power from Bend is being used to pull the train backup to Madras.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/12/19 12:27
Author: zaltwsp7

I'm glad the crew is okay and that the collision was not as severe as the train that went down in the Wind River Canyon.

Date: 08/12/19 18:18
Author: funnelfan

From what I've been able to determined, it's this cliff on the right hand side of the image is where the rocks fell from. I see plenty of large loose rocks there in my image that dates to May of this year.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/12/19 21:35

Thanks to everyone who chipped in.  There is one photo on the KTVZ website now, taken at the site.

Date: 08/13/19 06:46
Author: bmarti7

Date: 08/13/19 06:52
Author: BAB

Very evedent that its an active slide area just looking at the hillside and below the track. Biggest problem is trying to fix it and many others looks like they do need to check there slide fences more often if it didnt work.

Date: 08/13/19 10:46
Author: Graybeard1942

From Oregon DEQ Monday evening:

UPDATE: Trout Creek derailment: Crews will begin re-railing the train this evening, then will focus on excavating diesel contaminated soil from the area. No injuries, no current impact to creek. Crews taking extra precautions to protect waterways.  DEQ supplied the image.

Date: 08/13/19 17:15

Per KTVZ.com, three motors have been moved to Madras, and two taken to Gateway for evaluation.
Cleanup of 4,000 gallons of spilled fuel now in progress.  Crew said one of the boulders was "the size of a VW"
and the impact "launched them in the air a bit."   See the website above for a good update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/19 18:29 by Seventyfive.

Date: 08/14/19 08:36
Author: MP555

ActionMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In an area that has slide
> fences but they did not activate.

Slide fence worked as intended. The train passed a clear signal before the fence was broken.

Date: 08/14/19 17:54

I saw an extra south passing through Redmond at 16:40 today (Wednesday 14th) so the main
must be back in service.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0474 seconds