Home Open Account Help 125 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BM&LP RR 7/2/19

Date: 08/13/19 18:37
BM&LP RR 7/2/19
Author: dtoeppen

I shot this 7/2/19 and didn't put nearly as much effort into it as the others who are posting awesome stills here. Wish I'd slowed down and gotten better coverage. I sort of got lost and missed everything between the turn north and Page. This was a super windy day. Shot on Kodak Vision 3 50D 16mm film with an Aaton A-Minima and Arri Ultra 16 lenses. Processed by Fotokem and transferred by Spectra.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/19 20:34 by dtoeppen.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/13/19 22:07
Re: BM&LP RR 7/2/19
Author: roustabout

Thanks for posting a nice video.  Would have rather done away with the music and heard the train itself.

Date: 08/13/19 22:25

I agree. I shoot silent and I didn't have an external audio recorder, unfortunately. I played around with a Roland recorder last week at Keokuk Junction RR and I was pretty unhappy with the results. I need to get a good mic and devote some effort to audio. 

roustabout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting a nice video.  Would have
> rather done away with the music and heard the
> train itself.

Date: 08/14/19 12:14
Author: fbe

The electrics are quiet even under load westbound. Just turn off the sound on your computer and you are pretty close. The only moving parts on the electrics are the traction motor ring and bull gears and the compressor.

I hope someone captures some good sound up through the Cow Creek horseshoes under load.

Date: 08/14/19 13:13
Author: inyosub

We went to get this on the way to Durango a  few years ago. Unfortunately we tried to get
in from the south end on dirt roads, and it turned into an unsuccessful cluster. Got some
shots/vid around the powerplant only.
I see you went all the way out to the loadout. Can I assume no one bothered you shooting
videos along the access road? Tho unlikely to happen, wouldn't mind making it out there
before the last hurrah and would be good to know.

Date: 08/14/19 19:03

Had no problems at all. I have had some problems in NM, though. Native Americans seem to get mad about cameras. I've been hassled at La Bajada hill and also at this exact spot, by the funny sign https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0404309,-107.3410972,3a,75y,64.96h,77.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYb5a7-jInvEovT_CZS0xRw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656, both on Route 66. The sign has been replaced with something much more generic.

inyosub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We went to get this on the way to Durango a  few
> years ago. Unfortunately we tried to get
> in from the south end on dirt roads, and it turned
> into an unsuccessful cluster. Got some
> shots/vid around the powerplant only.
> I see you went all the way out to the loadout. Can
> I assume no one bothered you shooting
> videos along the access road? Tho unlikely to
> happen, wouldn't mind making it out there
> before the last hurrah and would be good to know.

Date: 08/14/19 20:32

The trackside service roads are all locked tight. The grade crossings provide track access. One Navajo member working for the private security firm talked to me about park and reservation access. Most roads on the Navajo Park are locked and unavailable to non-member access. Crossings on the reservation are not wide open to non-member. I waited hours at a few of the crossings with a lot of cars and pickups passing by. I got waves but no one stopped to talk except a road grader operator and a Salt River Project hyrail. The private security officer told me if a Navajo member requested I leave the dirt road and go back to the pavement I was required to leave. No Navajo Nation member never asked me to leave.

Date: 08/15/19 09:43
Author: inyosub

thanks to both of you. Good Info. Now gotta decide if I want to head out. Could maybe
hit the Apache on same trip. Any ideas on which days they run? I know it's limited now
with mostly chicken feed cars.

Date: 08/15/19 09:57

Go now or you will regret it for a long time. Find the train in the morning otherwise you will be playing chase until the next run.

Morning mtys good nose light to load out. Afternoon mtys good nose light all the way. Afternoon loads good nose light in curves to culvert overpass.

Pole lines on North side along hwy 160 which is where the sun will be in the pm. You need to work around that in the pm.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds