Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Black Mesa & Lake Powell Day Trip

Date: 08/29/19 20:43
Black Mesa & Lake Powell Day Trip
Author: 757guy

As the Black Mesa and Lake Powell Railroad entered its final week of operations, it hit me that I needed to photograph this unique operation before it disappeared. Multiple vacations to Arizona and Utah over the years meant riding along this line, and I have always found it intriguing. I vividly remember driving Route 160 one summer night on my way to Monument Valley, when off in the distance a light appeared. Brighter and brighter, it was undoubtedly a train. As it approached, I rolled down the window to hear it, and yet it glided by in an almost mysterious, stealth-like manner. It was unlike anything I had seen before, and I vowed to someday photograph it. The deadline to do so came much more quickly than I would have imagined. With great thanks to those who documented this line and shared their spotting recommendations on Trainorders, I headed to Arizona with a mind full of photography ideas, but so little time to make them happen. After landing in PHX and picking up the rental car at midnight on Friday, 23Aug, I headed north. After a brief stop in Flagstaff (and watching one BNSF intermodal), I continued north toward Cameron, where I forced myself to take a one-hour nap. At 5am, I set out once more enroute to Page, hoping to catch a train leaving the plant. Instead, several railfans already on site indicated the train was actually enroute from the mine. I headed east to intercept the train, and was able to follow it back toward the plant in Page. After getting sidetracked by a visit to the Glen Canyon Dam and attempting to find a lost camera lens filter, I missed the train’s departure from the plant. It made great time back to the mine, and I did not catch it again until I reached the loadout facility. No worries, as it was just a nice day to enjoy the solitude and remoteness of northern Arizona. From the mine, I enjoyed the chase back toward Page, stopping to photograph along the way. I stuck around hoping the train would head back to the mine prior to sunset, but such was not the case. Alas, I was happy with the shots I was able to get on a very limited timeframe. The drive back to PHX for my flight was certainly a long one that night, but what an awesome day it had been! For now, it is hard to believe the rails will sit silent across this splendid landscape.

Video: A loaded train works its way toward Page on the afternoon of 23Aug.

Image 1: The morning chase began with challenging lighting for the westbound, but converting to a black and white image brought out more detail.

Image 2: The morning westbound snakes its way around S-curves enroute to the Page plant.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/29/19 20:44
Re: Black Mesa & Lake Powell Day Trip

Image 3: The morning westbound drops down toward the plant in Page and is about to duck under Route 98. Another conversion to black and white to assist with the harsh lighting.

Images 4 & 5: After missing the empties returning to the mine, I set up to photograph the afternoon’s train back to the plant. The train is moving past the unlit signal just west of the loadout.

Date: 08/29/19 20:45

Image 6: BM&LP cars rumble across a rural crossing

Image 7: Pacing the afternoon westbound train along Route 160.

Image 8: The westbound works up a grade after leaving the mine loadout.

Date: 08/29/19 20:47

Images 9 & 10: The afternoon westbound rounds a bend as it heads away from Route 160.

Image 11: The afternoon westbound is dwarfed by Arizona’s magnificent geographical features.

Date: 08/29/19 20:48

Image 12: As the suns becomes lower on the horizon, the afternoon westbound works toward the Page plant after stopping for a short period.

Images 13 & 14: The afternoon westbound drops toward the plant in Page.

Date: 08/29/19 20:50

Image 15: The Page power plant

Image 16: Solitude and beautiful remoteness along the rails of the BM&LP. Only the sounds of wind crossing the desert will remain.

Thanks for reading!

Date: 08/29/19 20:55
Author: E25

Goodbyes are never as fun as "hellos."

It was nice that you had the chance to catch a glimpse of an interesting operation in such a remote place.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/19 20:57 by E25.

Date: 08/29/19 21:08
Author: fbe

Photo 11 is the White Mesa and it does not have coal like the Black Mesa does.

Date: 08/30/19 12:53
Author: callum_out

Excellent shots, completely surreal that motors intended for a new electrified mainline between Mexico City
and Queretero end up hauling coal in Arizona.

Out

Date: 08/30/19 22:58

I appreciate the kind comments. Yes, goodbyes are definitely more difficult. It makes you realize how important it is to document even the things that might seem commonplace now.

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photo 11 is the White Mesa and it does not have
> coal like the Black Mesa does.

Very interesting. Thanks for that information. It's fascinating how they are different despite being in such close proximity. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/19 23:03 by 757guy.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0735 seconds