Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Harbor and San Pedro Jct Vernon CA Aug 16

Date: 08/31/19 10:41
Harbor and San Pedro Jct Vernon CA Aug 16
Author: erielackawanna

Met up with a friend back on Aug 16 in Vernon, CA (near downtown LA) to shoot the Union Pacific South Industries Job, but they eneded up having a late start that day so everything that landed on my camera sensor was orange. Hit up two of my more usual haunts (from when I was railfanning down in that area a lot more), Harbor Jct and San Pedro Jct, but in or right on the border of Vernon (at one time there was a smaller town of Hobart here, but they merged with Vernon long ago). 

Image one is a ZLPKLAC shoving into Hobart Yard (might be the Hobart Switch crew by this point). Reminder, next time here, bring a step ladder as the closer track is higher and blocks the pilot. 

Image two is of a LACLAC heading away to its next assignment, not at San Pedro Jct.

Image three is a ZWSPLAC's power set also passing San Pedro Jct.

Date: 08/31/19 10:44
Re: Harbor and San Pedro Jct Vernon CA Aug 16

Image four is the ZLPKLAC (or Hobart switcher) again. Third unit was a Goat Boat - but they just didn't pull up close enough.

Image five is now over at Atlantic Blvd and the two Los Angeles Junction crossings there on either side of the river. This is the 227 Job approaching (he did have a train before, but of course was running light for my shot).

Image six is the same unit passing the crossing-activation signal.  My buddy, who was standing five feet from me, figured out a 1,000 times better framing of thi shot that I now have to go back and repeat (steal, copy, whatever).

Date: 08/31/19 12:27
Author: 3rdswitch

Surprised BNSF jobs still use the river track. I "think" all those jointly used industry tracks just south of 26th St used to be called the "field"? There USED to be access from the main line that crossed 26th St just west of the Long Beach Fwy, about where Bandini mountain used to be. Nice look back at my old stomping grounds.
JB

Date: 08/31/19 13:36

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Surprised BNSF jobs still use the river track. I
> "think" all those jointly used industry tracks
> just south of 26th St used to be called the
> "field"? There USED to be access from the main
> line that crossed 26th St just west of the Long
> Beach Fwy, about where Bandini mountain used to
> be. Nice look back at my old stomping grounds.
> JB

This is a Los Angeles Junction job (not that that matters all that much anymore, they are so merged together in look).

Date: 08/31/19 18:16
Author: Jimmies

Real good photos, with interesting things to see in the backgrounds also.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds