Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The "Worm" Climbs out of Mojave

Date: 09/02/19 13:11
The "Worm" Climbs out of Mojave
Author: spsniper

Looks like the "Worm" trains are back on the Mojave sub. Does anyone know how many of these BNSF runs a week this time of year?
Also, any info where they originate and end up? Thanks in advance, sure sounded good this thing was pounding!

Date: 09/02/19 13:19
Re: The "Worm" Climbs out of Mojave
Author: spsniper

It is a show to see these particular heavy trains work uphill on this side of the grade, which is deceiving steep.  A long painful climb even with newer engines to reach Tehachapi! (He was doing about 12MPH)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/19 13:25 by spsniper.

Date: 09/02/19 13:21
Author: Midnight_Goat

Nice catch and photos. Those 'worm' trains were always favorites when I lived out there, often had the chance to get some neat/colorful consists much like you got there. 

Thanks for sharing,
Ryan

Date: 09/02/19 13:38
Author: PHall

Most likely loaded with cattle / chicken feed and headed to the farms between Bakersfield and Fresno.

Date: 09/02/19 15:58
Author: MojaveBill

Hanford and/or Corcoran. I think they run at least two...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 09/02/19 20:47
Author: calumet

A worm train with BNSF power is occasionally seen on CSX's ex-Monon in Indiana, running as an extra.  I'm told it's headed to the port of Charleston, SC for shipment overseas.

Date: 09/02/19 22:10
Author: zchcsse

I wouldn't say that they're "back" because I'm pretty certain they haven't left (at least in the past 15+ years).  

It's variable how many are run, but you could catch 0-3 in a 24hr period.

They are definitely some neat trains, a lot of fun to see!

Date: 09/03/19 19:02
Author: shortlineer

The unit grain trains occasional run to Conner on the San Joaquin Valley Railroad Sunset Branch as well. The trains are yarded in Bakersfield and power is moved to the south end of the train and mid-train DPUs are removed before making the trip out the Buttonwillow and Sunset Branch to the destination.

1. Empty on the Sunset Branch getting ready to return to the BNSF Yard in Bakersfield July 19, 2016.

2. Another Empty Northbound to the BNSF just south of the junction wth the SJVR Buttonwillow Branch.

3. Finally, a load, splitting it's train at Old River Siding just north of Conner. 

I can't believe that it's been 3 years since I took these photos! Time to get back, when the weather cools down. As far as I know, Quality Grain at Conner continues to receive unit train loads of Canola Pellets and Cottonseed along with single car shipments as well. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.056 seconds