Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Othello, Deer Lodge, or Kayenta?

Date: 09/07/19 10:56
Othello, Deer Lodge, or Kayenta?
Author: highgreengraphics

I'm too young to remember the Milwaukee Road electrification, but this has to be similar, with rural wood-pole catenary, a low-mounted clear block, and electrics in multiple silhouetted under the gathering night of the Big Sky. However, as this, the Black Mesa and Lake Powell, was built as the Milwaukee was calling it quits on its electrification, here the sun is setting on the last coal load to depart the mine loadout before this railroad ends completely on August 25, 2019. But one could sit back for a moment and feel the quiet power and reflect that this must have been what it was like in Montana in 1973 . === === = === JLH

Date: 09/07/19 11:11
Re: Othello, Deer Lodge, or Kayenta?
Author: fbe

I know the feeling. Evening photo of a 4 unit set of E60s one the Cow Ck trestle silhouetted against the northern sky and when you squint your eyes it is almost the MILW in Montana.

Date: 09/07/19 13:15
Author: mojaveflyer

Fabulous shot, Jim! Thanks for sharing....

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 09/07/19 15:19
Author: coach

I have recently wondered, given all the Tier 4 engine troubles, if RR's will ever electrify their main lines (just the heavily traveled ones)?  It solves the Tier 4 problem, makes them "greener", and maybe the power would be cheap given the glut of electricty...

Date: 09/07/19 16:14

Given electrification adds another one or two million dollars per each mile of right of way electrification will not happen any time soon.

There seems lots of surplus electricity now but as electric vehicles become more common some of that capacity will get used. There are many coal fired generating stations which will not be rebuilt when they wear out in the next 5-10 years and capacity will be reduced.

Date: 09/07/19 16:19
Author: goneon66

interesting info on what it would currently cost to electrify a railroad today.............

Date: 09/07/19 16:32

That is the last figure I have heard. There is a lot of hardware between the poles and the trolley wire which costs money but assembly is extremely labor intensive.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0312 seconds