Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Operational Changes?

Date: 09/07/19 14:57
UP Operational Changes?
Author: WichitaJct

Saw something today I had never seen before on the UP: two loaded coal trains combined into one train. Two GEs on the point followed by AEPX loads, then three GEs as mid-train DPUs, followed by UCEX loads and a GE DPU on the rear. Is this gonna be a regular occurrence or just a one time only thing? 

Date: 09/07/19 15:12
Re: UP Operational Changes?
Author: JHF

On Colorado's Joint Line the BNSF has been combining 2 coal empty trains as mentioned above. Have not determined if there is a pattern to this operation. Only in the last 6 to 9 months has this been the method of operation. Presently the majority of coal empty movements are of single train sets.
JHF

Date: 09/07/19 17:38
Author: WAF

WichitaJct Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Saw something today I had never seen before on the
> UP: two loaded coal trains combined into one
> train. Two GEs on the point followed by AEPX
> loads, then three GEs as mid-train DPUs, followed
> by UCEX loads and a GE DPU on the rear. Is this
> gonna be a regular occurrence or just a one time
> only thing? 

They're frigging crazy to do this double train  stuff. One bad move and they will have the mother of all derailments

Date: 09/07/19 17:46
Author: ble692

They have been doing it when convenient with grain trains, both loaded and empty, for some months now. Plans were for coal trains to eventually also follow that plan, but I had yet to see any myself that had actually been combined. I guess they have now implemented it as well.

Date: 09/07/19 21:16
Author: blueflag

They have been running a doubled loaded coal train for Oak Creek WI for more than a few months now. Granted, its relatively flat compared to a mountainous route.

Saw a monster manifest in Iowa recently, had a good mix of regular manifest cars, but there were odd good sized blocks of empty coal cars, autoracks, and loaded double stacks. Friend with us said he'd never thought he'd see "tubs and stacks" coupled together. Certainly a Heinz 57 type of train.

Jeff Eggert

Posted from Android

Date: 09/07/19 22:39
Author: cchan006

WAF Wrote:
> They're frigging crazy to do this double train 
> stuff. One bad move and they will have the mother
> of all derailments

Saw a 3x1 (rear DPU) eastbound manifest on the LA&SL recently with rail train empties (for 2 sets of ribbon rail) in the middle of the train. How's that for stringline derailment risk?

Date: 09/08/19 10:54
Author: WAF

cchan006 Wrote:
> WAF Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They're frigging crazy to do this double
> train 
> > stuff. One bad move and they will have the
> mother
> > of all derailments
>
> Saw a 3x1 (rear DPU) eastbound manifest on the
> LA&SL recently with rail train empties (for 2 sets
> of ribbon rail) in the middle of the train. How's
> that for stringline derailment risk?

They don't care.Lees train starts and cleaner yards

Date: 09/08/19 11:08
Author: ble692

cchan006 Wrote:
> Saw a 3x1 (rear DPU) eastbound manifest on the
> LA&SL recently with rail train empties (for 2 sets
> of ribbon rail) in the middle of the train. How's
> that for stringline derailment risk?

Up through August 22, 2019, a Chief Engineer could authorize an empty rail train to be on the rear of a manifest train. That being said I also saw them running as you noted. Empty rail trains mixed in wherever on manifest trains. Even saw it once where 2 empty rail trains were mixed into the middle of a MNPRV coming into Roseville.

On August 22, 2019 they changed the rules and it now states that 2 empty rail trains may be combined and placed on the rear of manifest trains. Loaded rail trains are still to run on their own as a unit train. Whether they actually follow their own rules or not remains to be seem. If I was a betting man, I know where I'd put my money.

Date: 09/08/19 14:37
Author: Android

I didn't know UP was doubling up loads like that, the only one I was aware of was the OK symbol (Oak Creek WI as mentioned above)

BNSF has been doing this the last couple of months... I think they altered train length as part of this, many trains that used to be 124 cars now are 120.   

Date: 09/09/19 10:53
Author: bankshotone

I've seen many of these "monster" 260+ 38000 ton 15000 foot car loaded coal trains come through with the first "test" train coming through April 22nd headed for oak creek power plant. I have seen these trains with various power combinations and placements. In the beginning they even had a sd70m in the mix.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds