Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Uncle Pete day & night

Date: 09/12/19 10:07
Uncle Pete day & night
Author: santafe199

An afternoon stroll over to Topeka yesterday turned into an errand of mercy to good ol’ Nebraska Furniture Mart in the western fringes of Kansas City. I’ve been having scanner problems of late. With the random but increasing vertical interference lines showing up in scans I know the end is near. My trusty Epson V550 scanner is showing those unmistakable signs of biting the dust. My previous HP scanner did the same thing, and toward the end of its shelf life it got just plain ugly.

At Nebraska Furniture Mart I got really lucky. I found the very same Epson model scanner on sale for $20 less than I paid nearly 6 years ago! You wouldn’t think NFM would be a ‘first place to look’ when it comes to scanners or cameras, but they have a surprisingly adequate electronics department. In 2010 I bought a Nikon D3000 there, my very first step into full DSLR photography. A few years later I bought my main tele-boomer, a Nikon 70 ~ 300mm zoom lens.

And now, if I could just find a way to get NFM to pay me for this impromptu commercial extolling their virtues… ;^)

1. UP 5537 westbound at Loring. KS. Yesterday late afternoon @ 6:49 PM. Returning home I treated myself to a small dish of vanilla soft-serve at the Bonner Springs DQ. With the windows down I pulled off at a farm field access crossing to enjoy my treat. The one came up so fast I didn’t have time to get out of the car.

2. UP 5394 eastbound at Calhoun Bluffs (Topeka), KS last night at 8:03 PM. Well after sunset I spotted this train stopped at Calhoun Bluff Terrace crossing in conjunction with a crew van. I couldn’t figure out what was going on, but it gave me time to double back to the Allen Rd crossing on the other end of the Bluffs for this digital acquisition…
(2 photos taken September 11, 2019)

Thanks for looking day & night!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/19 10:07 by santafe199.

Date: 09/12/19 11:09
Re: Uncle Pete day & night
Author: Gonut1

Well sittying in your car with a soft serve didn't affect image at all, good one!
Gonut

Date: 09/12/19 11:13
Author: bmarti7

Excellent use of digitized photography.

BB

Date: 09/12/19 11:14
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Very Nice Images Lance! Hope your Soft Serve 🍦 didn’t melt too much while the train went by.

Posted from iPhone

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/19 11:15 by RailFanAZ.

Date: 09/12/19 11:22
Author: retcsxcfm

Lance,
Number one is perfect!

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 09/12/19 11:40

retcsxcfm Wrote: > ...  Number one is perfect ...

(chuckling) Ya know... I had just parked, got one tasty spoonful ~ lick down and thought I'd better roll the windows down. With no signals to check I had no idea if, or which way a train would be coming. Good thing I did, because less than 15 seconds later I heard that "familiar rumble", and had just enough time to get my camera into place. As for the soft-serve, the shot happened so fast I doubt I lost more than a fraction of an ounce through melting... :^)

Lance/199

PS: Having sat in his seat for 20 years I hope I didn't startle the engineer too awful much...

Date: 09/12/19 11:48
Author: bmarti7

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> got one tasty spoonful ~ lick down and .........seconds later I heard that "familiar rumble", and
> had just enough time to get my camera into
> place. As for the soft-serve.......

Glad it didn't get on the lens (wish I could say the same during my "hip shots").LOL

BB

Date: 09/12/19 12:01
Author: Ritzville

NICE series and daylight grab shot Lance! Glad you found a new scanner!

Larry

Date: 09/12/19 12:27
Author: tomstp

Wonder what Lance' wife said when she saw the white stuff on his pants???????  I'm sorry, I just could not resist that.

Date: 09/12/19 12:42

tomstp Wrote: > ...  just could not resist that ...

musta been a slow day (month... year... lifetime) for humor

Date: 09/12/19 21:50
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Second image is great, thank you very much. Always enjoyed soft serve ice cream in the summer temps. Thanks Lance.

Don Allender

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds