Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Surf, CA- Fresh Off the Cutting Room Floor!

Date: 09/13/19 20:33
Surf, CA- Fresh Off the Cutting Room Floor!
Author: BoilingMan

Here a few more from my Surf Walkabout yesterday-  these are not all that artistic, but maybe interesting in the informative sense?  Surf is definitely a place of note- windswept and well off the beaten track.  Surf isn't on the way to anywhere.  If you're in Surf it's either because you meant to be there, or because you can't-read-a-map-to-save-your-life.

Photo 1.  The homeward bound Local from Lompoc puttering along at about 10mph.  No revenue at all today...  sigh.
Photo 2.  Moving through the derail etc, about to come off the branch and on to the Coast Main.
Photo 3.  Permission granted, they cross the Santa Ynez River and head (RR) West to Guadalupe, CA.

Photo 4.  My ride home, Surfliner 796.  I'd come up from Santa Barbara on the 763 about 4 1/2hrs earlier.  The trip makes for a nice day's outing, and you can usually photograph #14, 11, and if you're lucky, the Lompoc turn. 
Photo 5.  Back home in Santa Barbara aboard the Good Boat MARIKA.  OT, I know,  but this 4am photo of last night's full moon in the fog is kinda cool.  (4am 'cause the fog horn woke me)

Date: 09/13/19 20:34
Re: Surf, CA- Fresh Off the Cutting Room Floor!

Date: 09/13/19 21:09
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Full moons are always good to look at, brings up some level of ancient people's supersistions. Saw many of them thru 35 years of merchant marine service.

Don Allender

Date: 09/13/19 21:34
Author: SantaFeRuss

Different and interesting images!

SantaFeRuss

Date: 09/14/19 06:03
Author: doge_of_pocopson

Super jealous SR! Love SB!

Date: 09/14/19 07:03
Author: 3rdswitch

It is a nice area. The revenue was probably switching charges up at the plant.
JB

Date: 09/14/19 07:35
Author: the_expediter

Come to Surf...Where the Great Whites love to Play !

Btw...I love Surf and cool pics...Stevie...
Lompoc is neat too due to the murals painted on the sides of buildings all over town

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/19 07:39 by the_expediter.

Date: 09/14/19 08:16

the_expediter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Come to Surf...Where the Great Whites love to Play
> !
>
> Btw...I love Surf and cool pics...Stevie...
> Lompoc is neat too due to the murals painted on
> the sides of buildings all over town
>
> Posted from Android.

True.  Surfers=Snacks here.
SR

Date: 09/14/19 09:45
Author: callum_out

Hey, if we run off all the revenue we won't have to run a train, look at the savings!! Other than that,
cool set of one of those places you don't see very often.

Out

Date: 09/14/19 19:25
Author: ATSF90East

In the background of photo #3 you can see some of the structures of Vandenberg AFB, the tower to the left is the mobile service tower for SLC-2W, the west Coast launch site for the Delta II rocket.

Date: 09/14/19 19:44
Author: tronarail

Excellent shots of Surf and the surrounding area. Was stationed at VAFB 1973-1977, and from time to time, would drive to the depot (when there was one) usually in the afternoon/evening, and visit with my friend, Sid Coffman.the 4 to midnight train order operator.  Back then, the Coast Line was a fairly busy piece of trackage, and the manifest and Amtrak trains would thunder by on their way north or south. Although, to be truthful, train movements would be about one or two, if I was lucky.  One evening, I happened to notice an SP Teletype message giving particulars on every HAZMAT commodity carried on SP. Mr. Coffman was gracious enough to print out an extra copy of this document, which must have spanned 5 to 10 "folds" of teletype paper. Those were great times. Thanks for posting these pictures.

Date: 09/14/19 21:36
Author: ExSPCondr

I hate to mess up Steve's thread with the "Saga of Sid," but heres a couple.

Sid was just getting by on an operator's income, but you should have heard his stories of the gun shop he owned in Salinas, "...And had a guy manage it for him."

While he was working in SLO, he observed two trainmen walking with a limp which was caused by  penicillin shots to the hip to cure an infection caused by a lady of questionable reputation.   Sid asked what happened, and was told by both of them "&*%$#  woman, should have known better."

Two weeks later, (just enough time to catch the same disease and get SORE) Sid is limping from a shot.

At this time, Sid is divorced and has a girlfriend.  Sid starts telling all of us that she is expecting and he is "going to do the gentlemanly thing and marry her."  He does, but it becomes obvious that the baby isn't his!
G

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0911 seconds