Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Another Chico CA Train-Ped Fatality

Date: 09/15/19 14:34
Another Chico CA Train-Ped Fatality
Author: Graybeard1942

[Union Pacific Valley Subdivision, Chico CA, far northern California]

CHICO — A pedestrian was struck and killed Saturday night by a Union Pacific Train.

According to a press release from the Chico Police Department, its dispatch center received a call at 9:40 p.m. from the train’s conductor stating that the train had just struck a person as it traveled northbound of W. 1st Street.

The victim was found 600 yards north of W. 1st Street and pronounced dead at the scene.

The railroad crossing at W. Sacramento Avenue was closed for approximately five hours during the investigation.
Related Articles

Per the release, the cause of the incident is being investigated and currently unknown.

The person’s identity is being withheld until their next of kin is notified.

BACKGROUND: This is a major east-west pedestrian crossing in the campus section of Chico. CSU Chico is just blocks away. The Chico Amtrak Depot is located at Fifth Street, just south of the incident. The photo in the attached link shows the depot area. This is a regular happening in Chico with the campus area and bars and restaurants east of the tracks and the student housing west of the tracks.

https://www.chicoer.com/2019/09/15/pedestrian-hit-and-killed-by-train-in-chico/

Date: 09/15/19 14:54
Re: Another Chico CA Train-Ped Fatality
Author: coach

5 hours to investigate???????????????????????????  Honestly, that ridiculous.   It's pretty obvious what happened.

Date: 09/15/19 15:00
Author: wjpyper

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 5 hours to investigate???????????????????????????
>  Honestly, that ridiculous.   It's pretty
> obvious what happened.

Agreed. The train didn't chase the person down and hit them. Let it be on its way. There is nothing to be gained or learned by holding the train.

Date: 09/15/19 15:39
Author: The-late-EMD

Probably took five hours to pick up all the body parts, some of which was probably under the train. Days like this makes me glad I’m retired from the rails.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/15/19 18:34
Author: PHall

They can't leave until the Coroner releases them. And they probably had to wait for the on-call Deputy Coroner to show up too.

Date: 09/15/19 20:54
Author: railstiesballast

It was explained to us at Metrolink that the Coroner has to do the investigation exactly per protocol to protect the county and all other parties from liability claims that the true cause was not properly determined.
The rule of law, with lawyers ready to exploit lapses, leads us to this.

Date: 09/16/19 09:00
Author: BuddPullman

While working the Coast Starlight back in the 1990s, passing thru Chico in the wee hours and while making a station stop, college kids would open the lower level vestibule doors to pass and jump through the train.  They would place furniture on the tracks in front of the train.  A total disregard for safety and private property. 

With no thought for safety or danger, this sad event in Chico does not surprise me, whomever the unfortunate individual was.

Date: 09/16/19 13:07
Author: uprrman156

I think the average is 1 per month in Chico

Date: 09/16/19 13:40
Author: Copy19

During the merger run-up I was advised of the situation in Chico by my SP counter part.

JB - Omaha

Date: 09/16/19 14:53
Author: locogimp

hI have lived in Chico for 40 years and I believe it's more like three or four per year not one a month. Also, this is most likely transient situation in that the incident took place where the main line crosses Big Chico Creek where a lot of homeless people camp under the shelter of the bridge.

Jan Austin
Chico, CA
J.G. Austin Photography

Date: 09/16/19 15:41
Author: uprrman156

locogimp I would hate to disagree with you. I work for the Railroad and just because you live there I don't think you hear of them all. Trust me it averages out to 1 or more a month and NO most are NOT homeless 

Date: 09/16/19 18:31
Author: portlander

uprrman156 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> locogimp I would hate to disagree with you. I
> work for the Railroad and just because you live
> there I don't think you hear of them all. Trust me
> it averages out to 1 or more a month and NO most
> are NOT homeless 

Lol. no. . .

Date: 09/26/19 09:44
Author: hogandoc

I think the Engineer should have immunity in any investigation.

because, he is a whistleblower.

Date: 09/26/19 11:19
Author: casavoye

Keep in mind it is very likely the crew was relieved of its duties after the incident. The traumatic stress on the crew could interfere with their ability to continue on their trip safely.  I can't say for a fact this is policy, but I have heard multiple times of crews requesting relief. If that is the case getting a crew with a two hour call and a two hour dead head to Chico could also play in the delay. Maybe JB can chime in or another rail on standard practices in situations like this. My thoughts are with the crew. They will live this forever. 

CAS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/19 11:20 by casavoye.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds