Home Open Account Help 145 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > To answer questions about WP&Y track

Date: 10/02/19 08:57
To answer questions about WP&Y track
Author: EL833

I was asked about the state of the line between Carcross and Whitehorse. I poked around the line, long OOS, between those points. There was evidence of brush cutting for a few miles north of Carcross as seen in the first photo. Most crossings, like this one, have gravel over the rails. The next two photos are a few miles north of the first one. Nature is still in charge at that location and on into Whitehorse with small pine trees starting to take hold. I was told there are plans to extend beyond Carcross but not all the way to Whitehorse. Just hearsay, can't confirm that. Aside from a decent looking resort place (Spirit Lake IIRC) there wasn't much that I could see along the line to generate passengers.
  More to follow...

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 10/02/19 09:04
Re: To answer questions about WP&Y track

The track a few miles before entering Whitehorse (just after they cross the Alcan Highway) looks pretty rough. Once in Whitehorse things improved with all new ties and a decent roadbed. There is a trolly that uses this section for a couple of miles along the riverfront in the summer. All was quiet when I was there in September. The WP&Y station is well kept and used and is actually part of a combined train-bus day trip you can take out of Skagway. There is a modern enginehouse (seen in the distance in the 3rd shot) that the refurbished rails pass through. That's the Yukon River seen in photo 2.
  More coming...

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 10/02/19 09:09

The "trolly" maybe ? It was sitting behind that newer enginehouse. Once north of the limits of the trolly run the track returns to disrepair. Note rails cut out of the crossing. The last photo is just shy of the end of track in Whitehorse- it was cut just around the curves.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 10/02/19 09:16

Back down in Skagway there seems to be some expansion going on. They were digging and leveling the area to the right of the below train in what looks like preparation to add a 2nd track or move the main over. There was a new switch off to the side at the other (north) end of this project. They were also adding a second loop track around the shop to turn the trains.Of note, the ore is slated to start up again, but the railroad won't be hauling it. They are rebuilding a few things on the Klondike Highway to accomodate the heavy trucks that will move it. There goes my nice and peaceful drive along that highway...

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/19 09:22 by EL833.

Date: 10/02/19 09:33
Author: DaveL

Very welcome info, Roger, thank you very much!!
Dave

Date: 10/02/19 10:10
Author: dh1205

I asked about the possiblity of returning service to Whitehorse when I rode the steam train in August.  I was told that it is something that they want to do and that they started clearing brush to get a better look at the condition of the line north of Carcross.  They also said there are some plans for returning some freight to the line.  The problem is money.  The employee made it seem like it problably wouldn't happen unless they got some help from the government. 

Date: 10/02/19 10:30
Author: trainjunkie

Doesn't look too much worse than it did in 2015.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4876801

Date: 10/02/19 12:00
Author: rrpreservation

Given that Carnival Cruise lines purchased the company in 2018, money should no longer be a problem.

However, the potential use for a tourist railroad beyond Carcross is probably questionable given the length of time it takes.

Carnival bought the line to make money so my guess is that they won't have an interest in improving the line beyond Carcross unless their is an economic incentive to do so.

Date: 10/02/19 13:40
Author: DJ-12

rrpreservation Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Given that Carnival Cruise lines purchased the
> company in 2018, money should no longer be a
> problem.
>
> However, the potential use for a tourist railroad
> beyond Carcross is probably questionable given the
> length of time it takes.
>
> Carnival bought the line to make money so my guess
> is that they won't have an interest in improving
> the line beyond Carcross unless their is an
> economic incentive to do so.

If Carnival owns the RR now I would think that lessens any interest in hauling freight, given their core mission.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/02/19 14:27
Author: spider1319

Thanks for the report and narrative.When we were in Carcross several years ago the north end was stuffed with cars.Bill Webb

Date: 10/02/19 14:55
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the interesting pics...

Date: 10/02/19 21:08
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

Thanks for the info.  There was an article in Railway Age awhile back that mentioned a return to White Horse, and this was after the line was sold to the cruise ship interests.  We shall wait and see.  

Date: 10/02/19 21:15
Author: callum_out

They're a customer based business, doubt they'd turn down freight business.

Out

Date: 10/02/19 22:06
Author: ts1457

EL833 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The "trolly" maybe ? It was sitting behind that
> newer enginehouse. Once north of the limits of the
> trolly run the track returns to disrepair. Note
> rails cut out of the crossing. The last photo is
> just shy of the end of track in Whitehorse- it was
> cut just around the curves.

I think the enginehouse was actually the WP&Y facility:

http://explorenorth.com/library/weekly/aa091300a.htm

That's not the trolley used, but looks like some kind of motorcar.

Unfortunately, the trolley operation appears to be done:

https://www.yukon-news.com/news/the-end-of-the-whitehorse-trolley-leads-to-questions-about-the-future-of-the-tracks/

The WP&Y yard in Whitehorse looks like it has been completely redeveloped.

I'd be surprised to see the operation every make it back to Whitehorse, either freight or passenger, or both.

I should add that I really enjoyed the pictures (I rode all the way to Whitehorse in September 1974). Thanks for posting. 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/19 22:24 by ts1457.

Date: 10/03/19 12:07
Author: callum_out

Might be the interchange point with the standard gauge.

Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds