Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Toto Tuesday: How to lose daylight, but...

Date: 11/05/19 05:02
Toto Tuesday: How to lose daylight, but...
Author: santafe199

remain on the homebound trail

Having digital photo technology helps tons! I’m still in a state of amazement after 10 years…

1. I’m homeward bound on Loring Lane just out of Bonner Springs. Let’s pull into this farm field access crossing and check the westbound signals at the Loring, KS crossovers. High green on main #1, eh? Hmmm, maybe I’d better roll the window in case this guy sneaks up on me. Not to worry! I had all of 10 seconds to relax before UP 5537 west rolled by with late sunshine and a friendly toot. Hi-de-ho, the chase is on

2. I made the Loring Ln ~ Loring Rd ~ N 158th St ~ Golden Rd relay race to get on 65 MPH westbound K-32 highway. I know I can bag this guy again, which I do. This time with really late sunshine at E 1600 Rd, just west of _______* control point crossovers on the east side of Lawrence, KS. (*help me out with that C.P. name again, would ya Richie?!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/19 05:10 by santafe199.

Date: 11/05/19 05:05
Re: Toto Tuesday: How to lose daylight, but...

3. Next tried & true maneuver is to buzz north on the same E 1600 Rd, west on US hwy 24 which joins with US hwy 59 on a hard right turn in north Lawrence. Make the bend at Midland, pass by the Midland crossovers and set up at the Phillips Rd crossing for a 300mm telephoto stab. That is, with my arms fashioned into a human tripod on the hood of Willie IV (my rig). Bonus! The train is going slow enough that…

4. …I have time to change lenses for a vertical 42mm “Moonshot”. 40 years of instinct turns me around…

5. …to grab an away shot at a super-wide 18mm. Normally I would run some Photoshop ‘lens correction’ in here and bend the image away from so much distortion. But I kinda like the way the crossing mast and the jet trail form a triangle with the lead unit. On second thought, it would appear that the lead unit is tethered to the mast by the jet trail. Either way, it’s 'Happy Trails' off into another Kansas sunset…
(Photos 3-5 taken near the old timetable location of Buck Creek, KS. ALL photos taken September 11, 2019)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/19 05:12 by santafe199.

Date: 11/05/19 05:07

Oops… hang on, the phone just rang… ( _______________________________ ). Well now… some guy just called in long distance from Eaton, CO and said I should do my usual “just one more” routine. Hmmm… I guess I have time…

6. Back on the telephoto side of the equation here is 130mm worth of Kansas sunset color, with a near-silhouette tossed in for good measure…
(Better change that to photos 3-6 taken near the old timetable location of Buck Creek, KS)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

a Pizza Hut pit-stop is now on the horizon...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/19 05:13 by santafe199.

Date: 11/05/19 08:43
Author: bmarti7

Very nice Lance

BB

Date: 11/05/19 08:53
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE chase in the fast fading sunlight!

Larry

Date: 11/05/19 09:36
Author: texchief1

Nice shots Lance!  I really like the last shot the best.

Randy Lundgren

Date: 11/05/19 10:19
Author: stevelv

Nice photos.  The one with the moon and the signal stands out for me.

Date: 11/06/19 08:47
Author: route56

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This time with really late sunshine at E 1600 Rd, just west of _______* control point crossovers on the east side of Lawrence, KS.
> (*help me out with that C.P. name again, would ya Richie?!)

The official name of the Crossovers is Turkey Creek; however, I generally refer to it as Bismark Grove.

(The nearest named tributary to the crossovers is Mud Creek. The only Turkey Creek I'm familiar with in the are is in Northeast Johnson County and southeast Wyandotte County - which also lends its name to the NMRA division representing the KC Metro.)

Richie Kennedy
Lawrence, KS
route56.com

Date: 11/06/19 09:35

route56 Wrote: > ...  official name of the Crossovers is Turkey Creek ...

Thanks pal! Another 5 or 6 times and that name should be cemented into my (aging) memory circuits... ;^)

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0552 seconds