Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Any coaling towers still standing in Arizona?

Date: 11/07/19 09:02
Any coaling towers still standing in Arizona?
Author: robert162

Dear TOs, I travel to Arizona often (Green Valley, Tucson) i would like to photograph a coaling tower, i have found water tanks.  TIA  robert new york

Date: 11/07/19 09:48
Re: Any coaling towers still standing in Arizona?
Author: BCHellman

robert162 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear TOs, I travel to Arizona often (Green Valley,
> Tucson) i would like to photograph a coaling
> tower, i have found water tanks.  TIA  robert
> new york

All gone. They were removed shortly after the take over of the SP some 20 plus years ago.

Date: 11/07/19 11:52
Author: Lackawanna484

Was the coal tower down by Benson the last to come down?

Posted from Android

Date: 11/07/19 21:11
Author: BCHellman

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was the coal tower down by Benson the last to come
> down?
>
> Posted from Android

There was no coal tower at Benson. The coal towers west to east were: Tucson, Mescal, Bowie, Lordsburg, and  Deming. The last to come down was Tucson. It was said that Tucson's demolition was delayed because a homeless person was living in the tower and it took a while to remove him. 

The cement coal towers were constructed around 1925 when the SP absorbed the El Paso and Southwestern (EP&SW) in November, 1924. The EP&SW was a coal burning railroad and the idea was to use coal, as well as oil, on the North Line, Tucson to El Paso. There was also a coal tower of steel construction at San Simon, but it's been gone for years. Probably removed not long after 1950, when SP discontinued the use of coal as a fuel.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds