Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Please report all dust coming from this site...

Date: 11/08/19 17:36
Please report all dust coming from this site...
Author: z-trains

In June of this year, I had the opportunity to chauffeur my wife to the National Senior Games that were being held in Alburquerque, NM.  My one condition for being stuck with the notion that we are now old enough to qualify for something with the word "senior" in it was that we stop at Winslow, AZ on the way there so that I could hang out at one of the 7 wonders of the railroad world- the bridge just east of one of the most photogenic sags that has served as a fantastic setting for countless shots of the BNSF transcon.  I've found that shooting with a large telephoto lens really brings out the dramatic topography that exists in this nearly 10 mile section and I wanted another opportunity to do so.  My true objective was to get up early and nab Amtrak's eastbound Southwest Chief here but I decided to go out the evening before and see what I could do with backlit shots, which is something that is a bit of a challenge with my antique film camera.  Of course, it was complicated by the high winds rushing through the area but since this is a once in a blue moon visit for me to the area, I toughed it out and set up my mini-telescope 600mm lens on the tripod and watched ATCS for an approaching eastbound.  Conveniently, BNSF launched a westbound from its crew change point and as it raced through the sag, it picked up the wind and raised a small duststorm just as the eastbound crested the far horizon.  It was at this point that I realized that the eastbound was going to take the carnage created by the westbound and amplify it about ten fold as they passed each other.  Attached is the outcome of the conflagration- an unusual take on an iconic location.  And yes, I'm proud to say that my wife grabbed the gold medal in pole vault.  Thanks for looking!

Paul
RailfanJunction on Youtube.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/19 17:36 by z-trains.

Date: 11/08/19 17:43
Re: Please report all dust coming from this site...
Author: Ritzville

Nice shot with with the LONG sag in the track with dust flying!

Larry

Date: 11/08/19 18:06
Author: tomstp

Hard to believe a train can climb that grade.  Of course it is made more impressive by the telephoto lens.

Date: 11/08/19 18:15
Author: goneon66

i think that is a great image.  congrats to the wife............

Date: 11/08/19 18:58
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Nice!

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Date: 11/08/19 19:03
Author: CBRL

Stunning shot, and just the right angle!

Posted from Android

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Date: 11/08/19 23:43
Author: GenePoon

YOU deserve a gold for that photo!

Date: 11/09/19 04:12
Author: bobk

Great shot!

Date: 11/09/19 04:50
Author: texchief1

Nice shot!  He must have been flying to stir u that much dust.  Is there  sand and dirt next to the tracks in this area that blows onto the tracks and roadbed?

Thanks.

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 11/09/19 10:24
Author: santafe199

Holy moly, a rolling EPA disaster area... :^)

Lance/199

Date: 11/09/19 17:34
Author: SP8595

Phenomenal shot!!

Date: 11/10/19 17:19
Author: ns1000

Cool pic!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds