Home Open Account Help 216 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Where the heck is Peru Hill

Date: 11/11/19 09:34
Where the heck is Peru Hill
Author: 2ebright

Last Friday found me at the airport in Vernal, Utah seeing my wife off to Minnesota to see our family. I suddenly realized that I was only 107miles from Rock Springs, Wyoming and the Union Pacific mainline. In less than 2 hours I could be taking pictures; plus, the weather was perfect. So I took off heading north, crossed the Uinta Mountains and soon I was on the high plains of Wyoming. I headed to Peru Hill, just west of Green River and almost immediately began seeing trains. Peru Hill is how the UP gets out of the valley of the Green River and up onto the high plains of southern Wyoming. I spent the rest of the day there and saw many trains. 3 examples below.

1. UP 8218 East is just beginning its roll down Peru Hill with the 2ICIG2-06. Just a minute or so before it had been stopped behind the “Green River Hold” signals seen about 5 well cars behind the power. Eastbound trains are held here while waiting for space to get into the Green River yard for their crew change.  After shooting the 8218 I moved up to near the overpass at the top of Peru Hill.

2)   UP 5357 with the ZDVSC-08 is almost at the top of Peru Hill and heading into the low winter sun. It’s hard to see the train here because of so many trees!!

1.  Another shot from the top of Peru Hill. This one is the UP 8585 pulling the IG3LB-06.

Thanks for looking

Dick Ebright
Roosevelt, Utah

Date: 11/11/19 10:27
Re: Where the heck is Peru Hill
Author: 3rdswitch

Very nice.
JB

Date: 11/11/19 10:42
Author: overniteman

Nice shots!

Date: 11/11/19 10:49
Author: robj

Great weather and scenes.

Bob

Date: 11/11/19 11:07
Author: UP951West

Quality images. Thanks for sharing !

Date: 11/11/19 11:07
Author: texchief1

Excellent shots!  That third shot looks like single track?

Thanks.

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 11/11/19 11:08
Author: fbe

Photo 1 features Point of Rocks, not the only one in the area but sometimes used as a reference point for westbound crew changes.

Peru Hill was a nice place to capture the USS taconite trains with UP power.

Date: 11/11/19 13:41
Author: Bob3985

Peru Hill begins at the west end of Green River just over the river bridge where the heavy climp begins.
The summit of the hill lies just east of the I-80 interstate bridge where the crossovers are located.
The double track mainline goes under I-80 from the south to the north side.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 11/11/19 14:02
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 11/11/19 14:28
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE shots, good to see some EMD out there!

Larry

Date: 11/11/19 15:07
Author: ns1000

I like Pic 2!!

Date: 11/11/19 15:13
Author: LarryDoyle

Ummmmm.....

Where the heck are the trees?  ANYTHING Green? 

-LD   (GDRVVF)

Date: 11/11/19 15:36
Author: E25

You sound like me... always happy to see the wife or kids take off on their own for a bit so I can do something "useful."  LOL

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 11/11/19 16:15
Author: dougd

Next time you are in the area, go toward the town of Green River to where you can see down toward town and the  train yards.  This is another wonderrful view in the Peru area,  
This is Riview and it is at the entrance to the Peru cuts and cliffs seen in these photos.  Riview is just as picturesque as the upper ends of Peru,  From here you can see trains crossing the bridge and coming around the cuts,  above the river, most famous is Fish Cut..  From the upper end of Riview the trains can be watched for quite a while and distance on this really heavy pull.  

Use the search to find my photos(dougd) from there on this last trip.  10/01/2019  I am sure a better photograper than can do a much better job of capturing this view  but even with my limited talent, you can see this is an additinal awesome view, as well as the cliffs at Peru. Its easy to get pictures from both places in a matter of minutes

Great pics by the way!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/19 16:42 by dougd.

Date: 11/11/19 18:05
Author: HogheadMike

Peru Hill runs westbound from the bridge over the Green River at 6100 feet and climbs for 8 miles to the summit at the control point and crossover called Peru at 6400 feet.  It's actually quite a steep climb and quite a decent dropping down into town.  I've included a couple maps for you.

Date: 11/11/19 18:34
Author: santafe199

Nice stuff! You oughtta take a diversion like that more often!

Posted from Android

Date: 11/12/19 06:59
Author: SP8595

Great trio!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds