Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Surviving Pacific Electric 800 in West Hollywood

Date: 11/25/19 18:26
Surviving Pacific Electric 800 in West Hollywood
Author: erielackawanna

The Formosa Cafe in West Hollywood reopened recently and as part of the restoration they did a beautiful resetoration on the PE 800 car that is their bar. My first encounter with PE 913 was a sumer night in 1989, before I began dating my wife, and I had a date with a girl who I had been seeing a bit. She suggested Formosa Cafe and we met there for dinner. After we ate, she left for her home and I stayed and decided I would have a drink or two, having no idea that the bar was a Pacific Electric car. I sat on the barstool next to a young man who was rather blitzed already and the two of us drank together and laughed at our lives, as I also realized he was Christian Slater who was the co-star of the movie HEATHERS, which was a big hit at the time. Christian was not yet of legal drinking age, and I was barely so. We bought each other drinks and drank and drank until I looked around and mentioned ot him that the bar felt to me like a railroad car. He looked around and shrugged. 

Thirty years later I returned (well, I returned a bunch of times since), but thirty years later, this weekend, I returned to see the restored PE car, and I have to say I was blown away, at least on the exterior of the car. I'll need to go back for an interior visit, which I suspect will not involve getting hammered or meeting Christian Slater again, but for the time being, my compliments to the Formosa Cafe owners on this beautiful car.

Date: 11/25/19 18:27
Re: Surviving Pacific Electric 800 in West Hollywood
Author: erielackawanna

One more.

Date: 11/25/19 19:04
Author: mococomike

Nice shots and great story.

Date: 11/25/19 19:55
Author: ChrisCampi

Neat story and I wouldn’t mind a G and T or two in there.

Date: 11/25/19 21:17
Author: TCnR

Very cool, no bout a doubt it.

Date: 11/25/19 21:48
Author: TheNavigator

Interesting backstory and context for the images.
GK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds