Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Questions about Rock and Rail RR

Date: 11/26/19 16:50
Questions about Rock and Rail RR
Author: 2839Canadian

Can visitors get into the engine servicing area and the mining operations at Rock and Rail RR west of Parkdale, Colorado?  Do you need to go to an office and get permission?

From U.S. Route 50, how do you get into their operation?

How often do they run their trains, both loads and empties?

Many thanks

Date: 11/26/19 17:48
Re: Questions about Rock and Rail RR
Author: ShortlinesUSA

I can't say with certainty, but it sure does sound like you're looking at the quarry, which is not Rock & Rail's base of operations.

If you are looking to get shots of the home road power, take a look at Portland, CO.

The rock trains running to Parkdale use UP power. Not sure of their schedule.

The local from Portland to Pueblo typically runs M-W-F. It is a morning run. Not sure of the call time, but seems 0700 or maybe earlier.

Hopefully locals will provide more. These are just experiences of mine (most recent earlier this year) as an out of towner.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/26/19 17:49
Author: dcfbalcoS1

In the U.S. today I doubt seriously there is any kind of business that you can just walk into and start nosing around. You can't even go behind the counter in stores you know. In any type industrial setting they would have you hauled off and charges filed against you.

Date: 11/26/19 18:18
Author: ns2557

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can visitors get into the engine servicing area
> and the mining operations at Rock and Rail RR west
> of Parkdale, Colorado?  Do you need to go to an
> office and get permission?

No permission necessary. Eng facility is loacted at the Holcim Cement Plant in Portland Colo. It is located on a Colo State Hwy, that being Hwy 120. I wouldn't cross any track tho as you can take all the shots you desire without tresspassing and the light is great all day. As for the quarry at Parkdale. I believe that you cannot get access to the actual facility at Parkdale. All operations are run by Martin Marietta Co now. The quarry is for obvious reasons, not publically accessable. Even when I worked their, the average "Joe" couldn't get access. You could inquire at the office in Canon City, which is located off of S.9th St, which is also Colo Hwy 115. It is located just south of the US50/Hwy 115 Jct in town. Loaf and Jug on left. Cross the Arkansas River and the office will be on the right.
>
> From U.S. Route 50, how do you get into their
> operation?

From US50. If coming from the east on US50 take the Colo Hwy 115 exit for Florence Colo. Go south about 2-5 miles and look for Colo Hwy 120, a left turn off of Colo 115. Look for the Florence Water Treatment Plant on right. Take 120 east about 2-4 miles to Portland Colo and the Holcim Cement Plant. The eng service area is directly off the north side of 120 here. Great shots and good light all day long. Holcim also has an OSSX GP7, 3416 here which can also be shot without difficulty altho lighting is abit more of an issue.

>
> How often do they run their trains, both loads and
> empties?

R&R uses 3 GP40's, 201, 401 and 501 and all are kept at the plant off of Hwy 120. They run 5 days a week east to Pueblo and return. On occasion they can run west to Canon City but I have not seen them here in town for awhile. They usually begin their day in the early overnight hours and get back to the plant at Portland around daybreak. UP also still operates to the Holcim Plant a few times a week and occasionally runs west to Canon City, tho that is a rarity. They use GP40 varients also. The Rock Train that R&R runs, is Mon-Friday with weekends off usually. They run west from Pueblo on somewhat daily basis returning the same day. A train that leaves Pblo will depart Pblo early on Mon AM for loading and return upon the completion of loading at the quarry. UP then takes the train north for unloading at Colo Springs on the south end. Kelker, is a good spot to check if up that way. The train then returns to Pblo for another trip west, but that can sometimes be a day or so in doing so. The train goes east thru Canon City generally around 0700-0730.They use UP power, currently 2 units, 1 of each, GE/EMD and are generally back to back. Train takes around 2-3 hrs each way for the run with about the same amt of time for loading, 2-3 hrs. Loading is done by front end loader. Trains enter the loading loop at the east end and proceed west which re-orientate's them for the EB trip. Trains are generally 48-50 cars. The unloading end determines train length on these. I ahve seen longer trains, but the aforementioned lengths are the norm.  BNSF has been loading a few Ballast Trains here as of late and from what I have been told this will be on ongoing thing. At least 1-2 per week depending on their need. Their trains are about 50-60 cars or so with a 2X1 set up. Have managed a few shots of the few that I have been aware of recently both in Canon City and Pueblo. Future looks great for this with the possibility for up to 3 trains per day being btalked about. The quarry has enough rock for the next 150 years from what I have been told and the loading at the quarry will be changing with the new owner, Martin Marietta allocating in their budget a revamped loading arrangement. That is from what I learned about 1-2 years down the line tho.

Many good spots between Parkdale and Pueblo to get shots from. So perhaps ya wont be disapointed if one finds there way out here.

Feel free to PM me if ya have any more questions. Ben
>
> Many thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/19 18:21 by ns2557.

Date: 11/26/19 18:38
Author: 2839Canadian

Very helpful information, thanks

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds