Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP vs Palestine,TX

Date: 11/30/19 16:26
UP vs Palestine,TX
Author: Copy19

Looks like a community relations problem in Palestine, TX.  UP has a car shop there it inherited from the Mop.

https://www.palestineherald.com/community/railroad-attempts-to-scrap-job-contract/article_385bb732-12f7-11ea-a2a2-5fc3f255f6e0.html

Date: 11/30/19 16:50
Re: UP vs Palestine,TX
Author: spider1319

Similar to the guarantee by BN/BNSF of the West Burlington Shops.We know how that ended.Bill Webb

Date: 11/30/19 19:30
Author: cctgm

John you may remember back in 1983 when I was transferred from the WP to the MP " I even made info magazine along with Chris Addnessan as the 1st two transfers from UP to MP".  That was when bo UP managers wanted to go to the MP so they sent 2 WP MAnagers. The UP tried to break the agreement and lost at SCOTUS in around late 1983 or 1984. That was one of the reasons they looked at moving the whole NCSC from St. Louis to Palestine but back then there were not enough business phone lines in Palestine so a few years later they moved the Claims department to Palestine into the old IGN headquarters building so they could cut some of the car shop employees. They have now in the past few years razed the old IGN/MP depot  that served as the yard office and MOW and Mechanical offices in Palestine.  

Date: 11/30/19 19:33
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I live in East Texas and there is a lot of buzz about this.

Seems to me UP wants to shut down the facility, and probably some yard trackage with it.

Hate to see it happen, but UP should be able to do as it wishes with their property.  The agreement
was from the 1880’s, for crying out loud.

Date: 11/30/19 20:43
Author: tomstp

Get your  pictures now.

Date: 12/01/19 09:33
Author: Copy19

I was surprised by the large office building in Palestine.  The above post by cctgm explains what has been going on there.

JB - Omaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/19 12:20 by Copy19.

Date: 12/01/19 11:48
Author: PHall

WrongWayMurphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in East Texas and there is a lot of buzz
> about this.
>
> Seems to me UP wants to shut down the facility,
> and probably some yard trackage with it.
>
> Hate to see it happen, but UP should be able to do
> as it wishes with their property.  The agreement
> was from the 1880’s, for crying out loud.

So the agreement is 140 years old. What's your point? It's still a valid legal agreement.
If UP wants to change it they're going to have to sit down at the table and actually bargin.
I wish them good luck!

Date: 12/01/19 18:04
Author: tomstp

This is what I think too.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0345 seconds