Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The thing about a picture........

Date: 12/03/19 06:35
The thing about a picture........
Author: twjurgens

.............is that you can't feel the actual weather conditions.  The actual air temperature was tolerable but the 30 - 40 mph winds made it much worse.  Although the long range forecast for December is for slightly above normal temps, maybe Sunday's weather was a warning about what January and February could bring.  Had it not been that I was to do video cameras for church at the early service last Sunday morning, I may not have ventured out to get shots of Amtrak's 6.  (Geezers don't like cold, windy weather)

While I was waiting for 6 east of Waverly, NE, a crude oil train powered by CP 8912 came along westbound.  BNSF 5984 and CP 8504 were bringing up the rear.  The ice on the dpu's is an indicator of where they've been.  I'm fairly certain that this train came down the BNSF Sioux City line.  There has been MUCH more snow to our north than what we've had here.

(more)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/19 06:38 by twjurgens.

Date: 12/03/19 06:36
Re: The thing about a picture........
Author: bmarti7

Nice narrative and pics Tom.

BB

Date: 12/03/19 06:37
Author: twjurgens

As I was watching #6 race off to the east toward Omaha, a headlight for another westbound appeared.  It turned out to be a coal empty powered by BNSF 5826 and 9832 with 6127 as dpu.  For me, the leafless trees make for stark but interesting scenes.

Date: 12/03/19 07:23
Author: santafe199

twjurgens Wrote: > ... air temperature was tolerable but the 30 - 40 mph winds made it much worse ...

The coldest I ever was in my RR career was in November of 1978 switching at the Bunge elevator NW of Salina, KS. Temps were in the teens, no big deal. BUT we had your same 30-40 steady wind out of the north. Add in humidity at a Kansas-style 70%. Brrr........... :^)

Willie W

Date: 12/03/19 09:45
Author: SP8595

Nice! Great catch on the CP leader!

Date: 12/03/19 14:04
Author: TTownTrains

twjurgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For me, the leafless trees make for stark but
> interesting scenes.

I like the tree framing in #4.

Bill G.
Tulsa, OK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0917 seconds