Home Open Account Help 158 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Sunny Afternoon On The BNSF Brush Sub

Date: 12/03/19 22:35
A Sunny Afternoon On The BNSF Brush Sub
Author: mojaveflyer

I had the afternoon off so I decided to take advantage of it doing some train chasing east of Denver on the BNSF Brush Sub. I stopped on a county road overpass that spanned over both the tracks and the I-76 freeway. First thing moving was this helicopter flying over the freeway. As he approached me he did a 360 degree turn giving me a chance to get several shots of him. Turns out it was a pieline survey helicopter. Nice looking machine! Next was a coal load westbound. i then moved east to just east of Hudson and caught another coal load. Continuing east I found a Lincoln - Denver in the siding at Keenesburg who was over taen by the Z Chicago - Denver hot shot.... Not a bad day fr being out a short time!

Photos #1 - 3: The survery helicopter as he passed me...

More in Part #2.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/19 22:49 by mojaveflyer.

Date: 12/03/19 22:40
A Sunny Afternoon On The BNSF Brush Sub Part II

Photo #4- BNSF 6422 passed me at the  Tonvill siding.

Photo #5- As he approached the west switch I noticed he had a flashing yellow signal. It's sort of  visible thrugh the exhaust haze ahead of the lead engine.

Photo #6- The train was running with three DPUs which is common in bad weather to help get the train over the road and the Palmer Divide south of Denver.

More in Part III.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO

Date: 12/03/19 22:47
Re: A Sunny Afternoon On The BNSF Brush Sub Part II

Photo #7- I found a Lincoln - Denver train in the siding and another westbound was approaching in Keenesburg. Here the Z Chicago - Denver passes the LIN-DEN.

Photo #8- As the "Z" Train passed, a crew van  arrived with a relief crew for the LIN-DEN. 

Photo #9- The relief crew is gathering their equipment from the van. There was a crew on the LIN-DEN that got a van ride back to  Denver. By the time the "Z" train got by the sun was setting....

Not bad for two hours of photography! Thanks for looking.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/19 22:51 by mojaveflyer.

Date: 12/04/19 03:24
Author: bmarti7

Thanks Jim-nice varsity. Great chopper pics.

BB

Date: 12/04/19 04:12
Author: SeaboardMan

The helicopter is a Bell 206, aka Jet Ranger.  Easy to fly, forgiving of your small mistakes, lol.
john

Date: 12/04/19 20:15
Author: SCKP187

Nice coverage and photos---really like #4.
Brian Stevens

Date: 12/05/19 06:34
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, James!  What are the endpoints of the Brush Sub and what is traffic count, if youknow?
Thanks.

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 12/05/19 09:18

The Brush Sub runs from Sterling in northeast Colorado through Denver. South of Denver it becmes the Joint Line. The line runs from Sterling to Brush about 35 miles, and then turns west towards Denver. East of Brush is the Akron Sub that runs to McCook, NE. Off the top of my head train counts go from 15 20 trains a day, mostly coal trains with some merchandise trains. Some trains will detour from the Front Range Sub, like the Laurel - Denver trains usually depending on crew availability. BNSF in recent years has been running more coal empties up the Front Range Sub through Boulder, Longmont, Ft Collins, and Cheyenne to Guernsey to better utilize traffic flow on the Front Range. 

Hope that helps!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0558 seconds