Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > New name I kinda like

Date: 12/05/19 22:17
New name I kinda like
Author: The-late-EMD

Everyone knows DPU stands for distributive power unit. But I heard a U P signal maintainer call them drone power units. Sounds cooler and more 21st century. I like it, maybe it’ll catch on.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/05/19 22:21
Re: New name I kinda like
Author: JimBaker

I understood the "D" stood for 'Distributed'.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 12/06/19 02:23
Author: fbe

Drone is already closely associated with airbourne vehicles.

A drone has complete freedom of movement in 3 dimensions while DPU is restricted to movement in 2 dimensions controlled by physical connections on one or two ends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/19 11:54 by fbe.

Date: 12/06/19 06:40
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Won't work, NOT a drone.

Date: 12/06/19 07:28
Author: lapklub

But they are being controlled from somewhere else.  To the average person on the street they might be considered drones since they're operating and nobody's home.

Date: 12/06/19 07:43
Author: santafe199

The-late-EMD Wrote: > ... maybe it’ll catch on ...

I will PASS

Date: 12/06/19 07:56
Author: SP4360

Survey says--2 thumbs down.

Date: 12/06/19 08:15
Author: Railbaron

When you think about it, I have to agree with the "drone" concept. After all, they are being remotely controlled from another location, making them a drone.

Distributed power simply means the power is distributed throughout the train. There is nothing in the moniker "distributed power" that indicates it is remotely controlled; manned helpers can be distributed throughout the train also and that would make them "distributed power units". 

Yes, I realize "distributed" has become synonymous with remotely controlled but it could apply to manned as well. Having said that, I doubt I could bring myself to refer to them as "drone power units" even though that's what they are.

Date: 12/06/19 15:23
Author: P

Not to stifle your creative mind, but I heard the term drone used to describe 'slave' units years ago. 

Date: 12/06/19 15:26
Author: MP555

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to stifle your creative mind, but I heard the
> term drone used to describe 'slave' units years
> ago. 

Yep, nothing new.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds