Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > KCS In the Woods (but then where aren't they...)

Date: 12/07/19 07:10
KCS In the Woods (but then where aren't they...)
Author: ATSF5669

On our way home from Branson we took the scenic route, way off the beaten path.  The reason?  It's a beautiful drive through Mark Twain National Forest, and...best of all we intersected the KCS at Anderson and followed it south until Siloam Springs where Mrs. P turned west and brought us home.  I didn't have a scanner so we were proceeding on signal indication, pulling into every side road to check out each signal.  Passing over the main just south of Noel an intermediate was red, so my chauffeur stopped and let me out (and mercifully waited) until this northbound oil train rolled north.  What was cool was that while making the obligatory going away shot of the DPU's I spotted a bald eagle off to the side.  After the train was gone we drove as close as we could to the edge of the river, and I gave my best to sneaking to an open photo spot.  A birder I'm not. I didn't even get close to the eagle before got spooked and flew away.  It was still super cool to see it!  Phyllis and I were amazed.

Date: 12/07/19 07:12
Re: KCS In the Woods (but then where aren't they...)
Author: ATSF5669

The eagle has landed. 

Date: 12/07/19 08:07
Author: 3rdswitch

Both nice.
JB

Date: 12/07/19 08:30
Author: cabman

Wouldn't that be a fun place to clean up a big derailment?  Would give those eagles something interesting to watch.

Date: 12/07/19 17:08
Author: bmarti7

Nice shots. It's amazing how many eagles are around now.

BB

Date: 12/07/19 20:53
Author: TTownTrains

Nice shot, JP.  You might not have wanted to try that on the bridge that used to be there or you would have had your tail feathers dusted!

Bill G.

Date: 12/07/19 22:27
Author: Ritzville

Like both shots, very NICE!

Larry

Date: 12/08/19 08:22
Author: SP8595

Awesome pair!

Date: 12/08/19 09:45
Author: NormSchultze

Getting rid of DDT in the enviornment has increased the populaion of large raptors.   A big "Thank You" to the late Rachael Carson.

Date: 12/08/19 13:11
Author: bobk

Nice shots!

Date: 12/09/19 13:27
Author: rbenko

NormSchultze Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Getting rid of DDT in the enviornment has
> increased the populaion of large raptors.   A
> big "Thank You" to the late Rachael Carson.

The millions of people around the globe who died from malaria after the ban on DDT went into effect might not second your big "thank you".  Not to get into a whole big discussion about it, but banning it worldwide before a decent substitute against malaria was found had serious and VERY deadly consequences.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds