Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > How cold is it?

Date: 01/15/20 13:09
How cold is it?
Author: santafe199

Here’s a link ( https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?18,3379609,3379609#msg-3379609 ) which will provide at least one possible answer to my thread title question. And below I’ve posted a scene in Seibert, CO that made me recall that nasty cold day back in 1978. Just as with the Bunge complex in Salina, KS back then, there is absolutely nothing to break a cold freezing wind blasting down from the north (frame left) here in Seibert.

The day I took this shot I was on my way home to Manhattan, from a multi-day chase of UP’s Big Boy #4014. The temperature was hanging around the low-mid 20s, with fairly strong winds. Indeed I took this shot while sitting in my nice warm rig. In a warmer situation it might have been worth it to hang around and hope for a train. But it was too dern cold.

So how cold was it? Here’s another clue for you: That cold day back in 1978 at the Bunge elevator I was 23 years old. My age in Seibert was 64. So I figure Seibert was 41 times colder than Salina. How, you ask? 64 – 23 = 41. (And THAT is how much colder it was… ;^)

1. This is the KYLE (ex-Rock Island) main line in Seibert, CO. We’re looking east from the Chicago St crossing. Does anybody wanna hang around and shoot a train plowing through that drifted snow? (I didn’t think so… ;^)
Photo date November 27, 2019.

Thanks for the hot coffee!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 01/15/20 14:57
Re: How cold is it?
Author: NormSchultze

It's 79 in San Antonio TX, but cloudy.  I'm wearin' shorts !

Date: 01/15/20 15:40
Author: twjurgens

It was so cold that I saw two cottontails pushing a jack rabbit to get him started!

Date: 01/15/20 16:14

twjurgens Wrote: > ...  It was so cold that .................

Oh yeah!?!?  "It was so cold when we milked the cows we got ice cream!"
(Of course, the brown cows gave us chocolate ice cream... ;^)

farmer john

Date: 01/15/20 21:37
Author: Ritzville

I feel the COLD Lance!

Larry

Date: 01/16/20 03:07
Author: SeaboardMan

My brain must be cold. Are we supposed to do math at 0606 in the morning? Just tell me how cold it was.  Slurping my coffee.
john

Date: 01/16/20 08:45

SeaboardMan Wrote: > ... Are we supposed to do math at 0606 in the morning?

Nahhh... just go put another log on the fire...

;^)

Date: 01/16/20 09:35
Author: PHall

Six years in Nebraska courtesy of the Air Force showed me that my body likes Southern California weather just fine!
You guys can have the blizzards and tornadoes. I'm fine with the smog and earthquakes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds