Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SP's Coast Line Bridges (part 2)

Date: 02/19/20 20:45
SP's Coast Line Bridges (part 2)
Author: BoilingMan

Here are the next 6 (of 12) bridges on the Coast Line.
SR

7.  Gaviota  MP 339  811' long/ 80 high
8.  Cementerio   MP 340  751' long/ 61 high
9.  Arroyo Hondo   MP 344  541' long/ 75 high

10.  Refugio   MP 348  61' long/ 33 high
11.  El Capitan  MP 351  751' long/ 65 high
12.  Dos Pueblos  (Barlow's*)  MP 354  661' long/ 60 high

*Barlow was a friend of mine back in high school. In those days his family owned this beach and we used to hang out here-  Barlow's Beach.  (I wonder what ever happened to him...  ) 

Date: 02/19/20 20:46
Re: SP's Coast Line Bridges (part 2)

Date: 02/19/20 23:13
Author: SP4360

You're having way too much fun with that Mr. Magoo lens.

Date: 02/20/20 00:00
Author: mapboy

A couple times we camped very close to the El Capitan State Park bridge.  I was happy to wake up during the night to hear the oil cans pass by, but was concerned about the wife or grandkid waking up.  It was a noise to wake the dead as it rattled and shook across the bridge.  "Did you guys wake up for that train last night?"  "What train?"

Gaviota was kind of scary, as the train would go high over the campground above you.  Pictures here of railroad car parts blowing off the trestle-  <https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3041384,3042421#msg-3042421&gt;

Refugio was my favorite spot.  The tracks circled the campground, so you got a long sight and sound show.  The store sold ice cream, and solvent to clean the tar off your feet.  Boiling Man, you haven't forgotten about the tar on the beaches?

mapboy

Date: 02/20/20 05:13

My wife is one of 11 kids (!!) and when they get together with spouses, their kids, and grandkids it’s a crowd! Traditionally they hold family gatherings at Refugio, as no house will hold them- she has a sentimental fondness for that beach.
My Dad favored El Capitan. He drove a ‘60 Chevy convertible we’d pile into for Summer weekends at El Cap.
And, as I noted, as teenagers we’d hang around campfires on the beach under Dos Pueblos Trestle- “Barlow’s”.
SR

And yes, the tar- always on your feet, but worse in your trunks!

Date: 02/20/20 06:08
Author: goneon66

i surfed el capitan numerous times during our summer vacations in my early years.   i don't remember the tar being a problem BUT it was great camping in the sites with views of the s.p. main.

great memories of the daylights and refer blocks.  even jumped OVER a rattlesnake that was "sunning" itself on a trail while running to be trackside for a train.

great images of good times.........

Date: 02/20/20 10:18
Author: PasadenaSub

Neat pictures with a unique perspective.  Aren't there also some bridges from the non-coastal part of the coast line?

I know of one across the Salinas River near Bradley and perhaps the Elkhorn Slough too, not to mention those in Ventura.

Rich

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/20 10:20 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 02/20/20 14:16
Author: D0wnt1me

Theres the big bridge that crosses over the Santa Clara river in Ventura.

Date: 02/20/20 14:27

Yes, and the bridges up the Santa Clara River towards Piru etc would count too-  that was the origional line as built in the 1800's. 
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0638 seconds