Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Pics of UP 6936. Where are they?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/07/01 11:47
Pics of UP 6936. Where are they?
Author: ATSF90

Where are the pics of the "new" 6936? Please, we like to see it.

ATSF 90

Date: 05/07/01 11:50
RE: Pics of UP 6936. Where are they?
Author: tolland

For your immediate gratification, there is a picture over on Altamont news Railroadnews page today:

http://railroadnews.net

Have patience, the trainorders Cheyenne contact assures me that he will take photos inside and out of Big Jake when it arrives in that fine place.

Tolland.

Date: 05/07/01 12:05
Author: crazy_nip

hard to tell from that pic... nose door was open and unit was trailing. But looks like they kept "Union Pacific" written out on the nose, which is good, also looks like they deleted "UP 6936" above it. Oh well, im looking for a detail shot of the nose to see how they reworked the nose...

Date: 05/07/01 12:09
Author: ATSF90

Hello Tolland!

Thanks for fast answer

Greetings ATSF 90

Date: 05/07/01 12:43
Author: tf2

Here.

Date: 05/07/01 12:48
Author: doctorevil

damnit they put wings on it!

Date: 05/07/01 12:53
Little Rock???
Author: geep28

was that pic taken in Little Rock?? looks like the road there beside the diesel shop if im not mistaken.

Date: 05/07/01 13:01
Author: tf2

Little Rock yes. It is sitting on the East side of the service track.

Date: 05/07/01 13:03
Author: ssw

Looks good to me.

Date: 05/07/01 13:03
HOORAH FOR THE WINGS
Author: mikeyjoe

I really, really, really hope that they're not to high on to low but just right.

Date: 05/07/01 14:07
so much for history....
Author: kenw

+wings, +lightning bolt, +grey anti-glare....yes, i like the changes, but i have very mixed emotions about the cosmetic changes from a historical perspective.

Date: 05/07/01 14:25
did anyone else feel. . .
Author: blair.kooistra

that it appears the portions of the nose in front of the cab windows have been given a SLIGHT downward angle that they didn't have before? Maybe it's just the light or the anti-glare panel .. .

glad to see it is back in service, but sorry for the lightning stripe and wings on the nose.

Not "historical" at all. Then again, we all loved the 8444 when it had that extra "4" on its road number. . .

Date: 05/07/01 14:53
Author: MAB

The grey anti-glare on the slanted portion of the nose appears correct. I'm still using old UP calendars at work with the 1979 calendar (correct for 2001) hanging up right now. The May picture is of the 6927 on Sherman Hill and it appears to have grey (maybe it's that green stuff, but it appears pretty grey to me in this picture) anti-glare on the same portion of the hood. The grey on the cab obviously comes down a bit lower on the 6936 now due to the lightning stripe, but it's not significantly different.

If it were up to me I'd have put the larger wings on the unit and took off the UP lettering on the nose. After all, this is the biggest diesel unit, and it does have a huge shield on the sides along with huge lettering. Seems like a similarly large set of wings on the nose would have made sense.

Date: 05/07/01 15:15
nose door
Author: bnsfsd70

Wasn't the nose door on this thing supposeed to be rebuilt to open outwards? From the pics it looks like it still opens in, Jeff.

Date: 05/07/01 15:25
RE: so much for history....
Author: Marc

blair kooistra wrote:

>glad to see it is back in service, but sorry for the lightning >stripe and wings on the nose. Not "historical" at all. Then again, >we all loved the 8444 when it had that extra "4" on its road >number. . .

Yeah, that's true, but at least they had the decency not too splash "Dependable Transportation" on the cabside or tender.... I mean really, what's the point of "historical equipment" if it is "modernized" as such?? A rather mindless decision I'd say.

Marc

Date: 05/07/01 16:41
No "Wings" for UP 6936
Author: RayChuang

The more I think about it, the less I think they should have put the "Wings" emblem on UP 6936. It doesn't look historically authentic, that's to be sure.

Date: 05/07/01 17:05
Wings, Blings, Flings, Dings...
Author: samreeves

If you ain't a UP E-unit or a UP F-unit, you don't need wings. Enough said.

Date: 05/07/01 17:21
RE: Wings, Blings, Flings, Dings...
Author: SDP-35

I beleive that it looks good with the wings. They should have
been bigger though. The wings are a piece of UP history. I
like it the way it is now. How bout that air conditioning.
The a/c was not originlly on it, but no ones complaining about
adding the a/c but complains about the wings, live and let it live.
Nice job to the men at Jenks Shop in NLR. >=)

Date: 05/07/01 18:21
RE: Wings, Blings, Flings, Dings...
Author: SP9794

samreeves said-

>If you ain't a UP E-unit or a UP F-unit, you don't need wings. Enough said.

RIGHT ON !!!

I would also add- If your not a CNW Dash 9, you don't need a lightning stripe.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the way UP has been putting the wings on anything that moves is starting to look tacky. You would think they've changed their corporate logo the way they splash the wings on everything. As for the 6936, at least I took pictures of it when it still looked like a Centennial. I think gaudy and cheesey are the best terms to describe its present "situation".

I'm still waiting to see the baby wings on 844 and 3985. Why not?

Flame away!

Date: 05/07/01 19:29
Apon further review... NO WINGS!!
Author: crazy_nip

Saw some better pictures of 6936 and have to say that the wings make it look half ass and its got to go, Im indifferent to the lightning stripe and the anti-glare, but those wings look so out of place its pitiful, they have GOT TO GO!!!!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0535 seconds