Home Open Account Help 200 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF PTC/Directive Delivery (PTC/DD)

Date: 03/21/20 17:24
BNSF PTC/Directive Delivery (PTC/DD)
Author: stevef

I see in the BNSF timetables, in the last few days there has been a change.  Under the Safety Overlay Systems in Effect, under PTC there is now something called PTC/Directive Delivery (PTC/DD) in effect for many larger subdivisions. Can anyone tell me what this is? How is it different from PTC that has been in effect?

Date: 03/21/20 20:24
Re: BNSF PTC/Directive Delivery (PTC/DD)
Author: GN599

It means that rather than issuing a new restriction or change to an existing one on the radio the dispatcher can send it directly to the locomotive and it will show up in your bulletins in PTC. All the dispatcher has to do is confirm you have new correct bulletin or bulletins they just added. I believe the system had this functionality built in already but we just hadn’t started using it until the past couple months. At least in my neck of the BNSF woods.

Date: 03/21/20 22:40
Author: NWRail

It used to be the conductor's job to copy a new slow order over the radio and repeat it back to the dispatcher.  The PTC screen on the conductor's side of the cab is just there for looks.  None of the buttons work except for the one to dim or brighten the screen.  Now it will be the engineer's job to acknowledge the new slow order.  This brings the railroads one step closer to eliminating the conductor.

Date: 03/21/20 23:44
Author: BrokenRail

Reduces radio transmission leaving the radio open for important transmissions like emergencies, switching, detectors, etc. No chance of a missed repeat which results in rules violations, or voiding the wrong slow order. If it’s on PTC it’s in effect, if it’s not on PTC, restriction is void. If PTC fails, you get what you need the old way, stopping the train if necessary.

UP has been doing this, and also uses PTC for delivery of track warrant, enter main track, and pass stop signal authorities.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds