Home Open Account Help 205 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cotton Belt GP 60 in Provo today

Date: 03/21/20 21:48
Cotton Belt GP 60 in Provo today
Author: gobbl3gook

I didn't think I'd ever see Scarlet and Grey on the mainline again.  

Two GP60s on a westbound train out of Provo today.  Sounded like they were dead-in-tow.  

Not likely to be headed to Tucumcari to haul Blue Streak Specials, but a nice scene anyway.  

Pic 3 -- view from the top of the chimney of my rental house here.  A BNSF headed westbound -- to Stockton?  About 50 cars.    With UP and Utah Railway switch jobs in the background)
(Sorry about the quality.  I've had this house 15 years, but have never stocked it with an old DSLR so I can take better photos while I'm here.  Nor, obviously, gotten a good one to tote around all the time). 

Ted in UT

Date: 03/21/20 21:52
Re: Cotton Belt GP 60 in Provo today
Author: gobbl3gook

FrontRunner is down to 3 car trains.  Odd, I would think they would keep the 4th car on just to reduce density.  

Date: 03/22/20 01:19
Author: Evan_Werkema

According to another thread, UP 1089's prime mover is dead and the unit is supposed to be moving to North Little Rock for an overhaul and a fresh coat of paint. 

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4978476

Not sure why it would be on a westbound if that's the case, however.

Date: 03/22/20 04:22
Author: dcfbalcoS1

A 'fresh coat of paint' always sounded odd. I believe that is the only kind that can be applied. Old paint is difficult to get through a spray gun.

Date: 03/22/20 07:10
Author: Evan_Werkema

Although I've never done it personally, I have it on good authority that it is possible to overhaul a locomotive and turn it back out into the world still wearing its old coat of paint.

Date: 03/22/20 11:35
Author: PHall

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although I've never done it personally, I have it
> on good authority that it is possible to overhaul
> a locomotive and turn it back out into the world
> still wearing its old coat of paint.

Based on what UP has done in the recent past, it's going to be yellow when they release it from the shops.

Date: 03/22/20 13:42
Author: exhaustED

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although I've never done it personally, I have it
> on good authority that it is possible to overhaul
> a locomotive and turn it back out into the world
> still wearing its old coat of paint.

I think what was meant was that the term 'fresh coat of paint being applied' contains a redundant term i.e. it would be sufficient to say 'coat of paint being applied', because by definition any paint being applied would be fresh.

Date: 03/22/20 14:15
Author: ble692

It appears there was some confusion in Roper as to where the 1089 was supposed to be going. It has now made it back to Roper, and hopfeully this time they get it routed towards North Platte. As for the 1100, it is a local unit assigned to Roper, although it too is having some unknown engine problems.

Date: 03/22/20 18:14
Author: zfan

Would be cool if they designated it a hertage engine and turned it out in full Cotton Belt paint.  haha. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds