Home Open Account Help 184 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Perm Sunday

Date: 03/29/20 11:03
Perm Sunday
Author: SCUfoamer

Every Sunday morning, UP runs a local south on the Warm Springs Subdivision. The train usually services the Lehigh Cement Plant and Economy Lumbper up the Vasona Brach. The local is not servicing the cement plant right now due to the state wide shelter in place. Today, I focused on the trackage between Warm Springs Yard and San Jose's Japantown. 

1. Moving south of Warm Springs Yard - The Milpitas Yard runs parrallel East of this photo.

2. Crossing Coyote Creek

3. Between 6th and 5th Street in Japantown. The train is about to make the turn towards the wye that connects the WS Sub and Coast Sub

Date: 03/29/20 11:37
Re: Perm Sunday
Author: coach

Hard to believe that track in the first photo is only 10 mph track.  They could easily do 25 mph and get things done faster.

Date: 03/29/20 11:44
Author: PasadenaSub

Great set of photos, especially the last one - neat view with a mix of urban scenery.

Rich

Date: 03/29/20 12:25
Author: jmf1910

Great set! Love the urban jungle feel of shots 2 and 3--nice framing in shot 3.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/29/20 12:37
Author: BobP

Water tank in #3 rare now days.

Date: 03/29/20 14:14
Author: milepost20

BobP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Water tank in #3 rare now days.

It's the preserved water tower of the Mariani Fruit Packing Co. retained to recognize the
industrial heritage of this neighborhood.  In its original location but nowadays surounded
by lofts and townhomes.  The attached cell phone antenna are a compromise to its
authenticity. 

Date: 03/29/20 14:28
Author: PHall

milepost20 Wrote:
> BobP Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Water tank in #3 rare now days.
>
> It's the preserved water tower of the Mariani
> Fruit Packing Co. retained to recognize the
> industrial heritage of this neighborhood.  In its
> original location but nowadays surounded
> by lofts and townhomes.  The attached cell phone
> antenna are a compromise to its
> authenticity. 

The revenue from those cell phone antennas is probably why the water tank still survives.

Date: 03/29/20 18:48

Thank you all for the kind words. I had the water tower shot in mind for a while. I knew that I needed decent focal length to capture the train and water tower. Unfortunately, the power lines on the corner of Empire and 6th are too obtrusive to get a crisp shot. 

Date: 03/30/20 02:59
Author: Br1Local31

Old head rails Ive worked with refer to this tower as the Del Monte water tower.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/30/20 07:07

Br1Local31 Wrote:
> Old head rails Ive worked with refer to this tower
> as the Del Monte water tower.
>
> Posted from Android

This is NOT the Del Monte water tower. This is the Mariani water tower that serviced the Mariani fruit packing plant near Jackson and 8th street.

The Del Monte Water tower does still exist, but it is located roughly at San Carlos and Sunol Streets just south of the San Jose Train station. It is much taller and more known to San Jose Area natives.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/30/20 08:12
Author: Br1Local31

SCUfoamer I apologize, you are correct I wasn't paying attention to location of original water tower you were referring to!

Posted from Android

Date: 03/30/20 10:17
Author: jimB

Photo 1 is different and interesting. Is that the Calaveras Blvd. (237) bridge in the background? About where were you shooting from?

Good set of photos! Always interesting to see a new viewpoint on a familiar area.

Jim B

Date: 03/30/20 10:29

jimB Wrote:
> Photo 1 is different and interesting. Is that the
> Calaveras Blvd. (237) bridge in the background?
> About where were you shooting from?
>
> Good set of photos! Always interesting to see a
> new viewpoint on a familiar area.
>
> Jim B

Thanks Jim,

Photo 1 is taken from the Curtis Ave grade crossing. Yes, that overpass in the background is 237/Calavaras Blvd

Date: 03/30/20 10:48
Author: jimB

Never thought to do that with a telephoto. I've shot from that spot facing South a number of times.

My only shot facing North was SP 2472 deadheading to San Jose, using a normal lens! In 1991.

Good work!

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds