Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Lordsburg Loop Tracks on AZER Questions

Date: 03/30/20 09:23
Lordsburg Loop Tracks on AZER Questions
Author: StStephen

Just finished reading the Railfan & Railroad article on the Arizona Eastern. On checking Google Maps, I noticed that right outside of Lordsburg on the Clifton Branch there is a loop that, in the map aerial, has quite a few cars on it. This was not identified in the article, and I don't see anything about it on AZER's website.  Can anyone provide information on this?  Is it an AZER operation or is it UP? TIA for any information. 

Bruce 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/20 09:23 by StStephen.

Date: 03/30/20 09:35
Re: Lordsburg Loop Tracks on AZER Questions
Author: spider1319

I seem to recall UP loading ballast at this location.Not sure about the current use.Bill Webb

Date: 03/30/20 09:40
Author: pdt

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4050262

Onetime ballast loadout, now used for car storage..

Date: 03/30/20 10:00
Author: StStephen

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,
> 4050262
>
> Onetime ballast loadout, now used for car
> storage..

Thanks!

Bruce

Date: 03/30/20 10:01
Author: exhaustED

Those loop/balloon tracks are normally in very regular use with the AZER - it is the exchange point for their trains which arrive from Globe/Miami (via Bowie and UP tracks) in the west, as well as for trains which arrive from Clifton in the north on AZER's own trackage.
So these balloon tracks are used to organise the cars/wagons that arrive from these two locations, as well as cars that have been brought into the main Lorsdburg yard by UP.

Most days you'll see switching activities at these balloon tracks. This will be particularly busy on Tuesday and and Friday mornings, when the trains from Globe/Bowie arrive. This is all ignoring the recent Covid 19 issue, i have no idea what effect that's had. 

Date: 03/30/20 11:06
Author: callum_out

UP used the loops as well prior to the branch sell off to store empties for Clifton.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds