Home Open Account Help 184 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > OT: COVID19 - I am sick

Date: 04/01/20 16:32
OT: COVID19 - I am sick
Author: webmaster

We are talking about trains, but these days I have gotten to the point that I really don’t care about steel wheels rolling on rails when the world around us is falling apart.  Last night just as I was sitting down for dinner I wasn’t feeling well. I took my temperature and I was 98.7 degrees.  By the time we finished dinner my temperature was 99.5 degrees. I climbed into bed and an hour later I measured 101 degrees. I felt crappy with chills, muscle aches, and developed an annoying cough.  My breathing was labored as my normally resting heart rate is about 70, cranked up to 99.

I panic’d because 30 hours earlier I took my mom from her assisted living home to a doctors appointment.  Before falling asleep I sent an electronic message to my doctor’s office, took a Benadryl and Tylenol.  The next morning I woke up with the fever gone, but had an annoying dry cough.    My doctor’s nurse practitioner called and went over my symptoms and she came to the conclusion that I most likely have COVID-19. While she said that testing would be important for notifying the assisted living center, results take 10+ days to return so it won’t be of much help.  She also said the test is about 75% accurate, missing 25% of cases. My doctor wrote back an hour later and said don’t bother because testing is in such short supply that they are only offering them to the sickest of patients.  My wife called over to the assisted living facility and let them know what happened.   This afternoon I sit in bed,  not feeling quite right as I am tired and fatigued. My cough is not too bad.  I could be a lot worse, and I can still get worse.  As a side note I have been on hydroxychloroquine for nine months using the same daily dose that was suggested for COVID-19 treatment. In theory I should not have gotten sick. 

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 04/01/20 16:38
Re: OT: COVID19 - I am sick
Author: IC_2024

So sorry to hear this, Todd. Sounds like you’re doing everything possible to get through it, and you’ll be okay—hang in there.

Date: 04/01/20 16:41
Author: 6088

Sorry Todd that you aren't doing well, but I am sure you will come through this ok.  Sounds like you are doing what you can! 

Date: 04/01/20 16:43
Author: mundo

Sorry to hear this report.  Sounds like its  under control.

My concern is whats the policy for those in care facilities, in taking a daily temperature reading.?

One story is its not in the CDC instructions.

Well when at many of the facilities, some folks are in such a condition that they would be unable to advise staff that they were not feeling well.

My wife is now in one, fully alert, while the other three in the room are in outer space.
The facility employees are checked daily, why not the patients.?

Ed

Date: 04/01/20 16:47
Author: Lackawanna484

Get well soon!

In spite of what has been said, testing materials are often in short supply. At least here in South Florida.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/01/20 16:55
Author: DJ-12

Best wishes Todd. We will be pulling for you and everyone affected by this. This is as good a reminder as any to tell people to simply stay home. Be safe everyone!

Date: 04/01/20 16:56
Author: Ritzville

Sorry to hear of your COVID19 sickness. Will pray for your speedy recovery and that your Mom will be OK.

​Larry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/20 17:05 by Ritzville.

Date: 04/01/20 17:01
Author: NSDTK

Best wishes Todd, Get well soon !

Date: 04/01/20 17:02
Author: Locoinsp

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Todd! 

Date: 04/01/20 17:07
Author: goneon66

Todd, 

you and your family are in my prayers.  get well soon...........

Date: 04/01/20 17:12
Author: J.Ferris

Todd,

Please keep us posted as you get better.

J.

Date: 04/01/20 17:12
Author: bobs

My thoughts are with you during this Todd.  Please keep us posted on your progress.  Hoping for the best of outcomes and that none of the rest of your family comes down with it.

Date: 04/01/20 17:16
Author: WP805A

Todd get well soon Prayers for you and your Family.

Dave Dodds
San Dimas, CA

Date: 04/01/20 17:25
Author: trainman

Get well !

Posted from Android

Date: 04/01/20 17:30
Author: Josta

30 hours?  I didn't think that the virus worked that fast; it's supposed to be 2-5 days.

At any rate, hope you get well soon!

John Acosta
Palm Springs, CA

Date: 04/01/20 17:31
Author: callum_out

Hate to disagree with Mr. Tweeddale but fever is a natural defense mechanism. As to your symptons, sounds just like what I had two years ago,
which was H1N3 or the sort. Fever was shortlived, chest congestion and lingering cough. Testing is great, so you're negative. what about tomorrow?
Lots of liquids, eat a little and if the chest congestion gets bad and you still have a dry cough only,  go get tested, won't be any issue then.
Best of luck and get better!

Out 

Date: 04/01/20 17:32
Author: KF1957

Take care of yourself and I hope and pray for a quick recovery for you.

Date: 04/01/20 17:33
Author: holiwood

hope you get well soon

Date: 04/01/20 17:34
Author: PasadenaSub

Prayers and wishes for you and family Todd.  Stay strong and we will get though this.

Rich

Date: 04/01/20 17:36
Author: webmaster

Josta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 30 hours?  I didn't think that the virus worked
> that fast; it's supposed to be 2-5 days.
>
> At any rate, hope you get well soon!

Reread the posting, I saw my mom 30 hours earlier and may have infected her.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2056 seconds