Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What If Tehachapi

Date: 04/08/20 08:20
What If Tehachapi
Author: ntharalson

As long as we're speculating, has anyone heard anything about UP connecting Bena and Ilmon and elminating the single track between those two points?
It seem logical to me, especially after they spend a lot more money to connect Marcel and Walong.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 04/08/20 08:34
Re: What If Tehachapi
Author: ble692

There were plans, although not from the UP. They simply don't run enough trains to need more track. The BNSF at one time thought they ran enough trains to need more track, but those plans changed too.

https://www.theloopnewspaper.com/story/2017/06/10/local-news/moving-mountains-to-ease-train-traffic-jams/3631.html
https://www.bakersfield.com/archives/bnsf-caltrans-scale-back-major-rail-improvement-project-over-tehachapi/article_e1c43feb-7814-584a-94fc-bc551d63b733.html

On the list of projects in the first article, only the first two were ever done. I do not know if they will ever come back and work on the rest of the list.

Date: 04/08/20 08:38
Author: exhaustED

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As long as we're speculating, has anyone heard
> anything about UP connecting Bena and Ilmon and
> elminating the single track between those two
> points?
> It seem logical to me, especially after they spend
> a lot more money to connect Marcel and
> Walong.  
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

There was a major plan to reduce single track sections on Tehachapi a few years ago i.e. about 2013. Of the 5 sections earmarked for double-tracking, only the Walong/Marcel section has been done, possibly the cliff extension also. The Bena/Ilmon section was the lowest priority of the 5 sections... so there's a good chance it's some years away...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/20 08:39 by exhaustED.

Date: 04/08/20 08:48
Author: railstiesballast

ExhaustED is correct, and I think that the Rowen-Woodford and Caliente-Allard segments were the furtherst along in the engineering and environmental studies.
Veterans of the SP told me, a newcomer to the San Joaquin Division in 1978, that during the 1960s they had studied a major line change that began near Bena and angled up the south side of Caliente Creek to join the Allard-Bealville siding area, eliminating several miles and the loop at Caliente.  But of course the numbers to justify the investment weren't there.

Date: 04/09/20 14:15
Author: bradleymckay

Barring a major earthquake (which might force additional changes) its extremely doubtful any new second main line track will ever be made. Cliff was extended over 1000 feet on the south end...

Allen

Posted from Android

Date: 04/09/20 20:47
Author: mukinduri

I remember reading several (10?) years ago that plans to double track a sector near Keene foundered when the Nationa Chavez Center, which borders the rail track, raised objections.

Date: 04/09/20 21:38
Author: ts1457

mukinduri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember reading several (10?) years ago that
> plans to double track a sector near Keene
> foundered when the Nationa Chavez Center, which
> borders the rail track, raised objections.

I think they ended up dropping that section from the plan.

Date: 04/09/20 22:10
Author: sd60m

In light of Precision Railroading, wouldn't that put some of the improvements mentioned here...back in the planning scheme?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds