Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Baretable on UP LA Sub?

Date: 05/08/01 17:15
BNSF Baretable on UP LA Sub?
Author: spf

Today I was driving on Fullerton Road in the City of Industry and could see up ahead that the gates were down and the lights were flashing. Expecting to see some UP or SP, possibly Metrolink, I was surprised to see 3 H2 BNSF Dash 9s and one Red and Silver Dash 8/9 (I was too far away and the train was going too fast to see the numbers or if the R&S was an 8 or 9). Anyway, it was an entire train of baretables.

Why did BNSF run this train over the UP? It is possible that it could be a UP train with BNSF power, but the train looked more like a BNSF train than a UP (included many BNSF well cars and no Pacers, which UP seems to run a lot of). Anyone have any ideas?

Date: 05/08/01 17:30
RE: BNSF Baretable on UP LA Sub?
Author: karldotcom

B-PTLLGB? They have been running these down the Saugus Line and through the UP side of Cajon lately....There is a UP pilot on board. I heard one on the scanner this weekend...it was going to East LA Yard....

Date: 05/08/01 17:44
Author: spf

Thanks for the info, this one definately didn't come down the Saugus line as it was on the LA Sub, very possible that it did come down Cajon however. Based on the symbol, I assume this will continue to the harbor? Why is BNSF running this train, I knew they ran them down the San Pedro Branch from Hobart to the harbor, but why and how do they get to get on the UP in Cajon (not physically, but how did they get trackage rights)?

Date: 05/08/01 21:34
Author: karldotcom

well, the way it was explained to me....it is cheaper and quicker as they only need one crew from Bakersfield to Hobart, via either route. If they go to Barstow, they will undoubtedly run into congestion and or delay other trains (which are carrying things), and most important, need a second crew to continue the trip. I dont think trackage rights are really a problem with UP...but I wonder if Metrolink makes any $$$ on the Saugus Line. Think of the other trains that could run from NoCal to LA cheaper and quicker over that "former useless UP line"

Date: 05/08/01 21:56
Author: 3rdswitch

The SOLE reason is trackwork on the Mojave sub. It MAY or MAY NOT be quicker BUT, it is NOT cheaper. BNSF not only has to pay for the pilot , it also has to pay a USER or track use fee to UP as well as a penalty days pay for EACH crew member for running outside of their assigned territory and possible penalty days pay to EACH first out crew on the pools OR extra board. It is not quite as simple as it looks to detour a train over another railroad.
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds