Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Metrolink Riverside (California)

Date: 06/03/20 21:19
Metrolink Riverside (California)
Author: commissioner

Do the Metrolink trains on the UP lines layover on the south side of the BNSF mains or do they layover on the north side? and which platform does Amtrak use? TIA

Mark Kennebeck
Saint Paul, MN

Date: 06/03/20 21:31
Re: Metrolink Riverside (California)
Author: SCAX3401

Metrolink Riverside Line trains which use the Union Pacific mainline, always layover on the north side (closest to downtown) on the two tracks available there.  There is a direct track leading to the UP mainline right after its breaks off from the BNSF mainline, so these trains don't have to enter BNSF tracks at all.  The other two Metrolink lines, Inland Empire-Orange County line and the 91 Line use an island platform on the south side (side away from downtown).  Most trains just pass thru as the layover in San Bernardino or South Perris, but a few layover on two tracks east of the depot.  Amtrak always uses the island platform on the south side and always uses Main 3 thru the depot.

A little realized fact is the track on the north side between the UP Los Angeles Sub mainline and the north platform at Riverside is actually a section of the Metrolink River Subdivision.  The rest of the subdivision is in downtown Los Angeles along the LA River.

Date: 06/03/20 22:38
Author: railstiesballast

That little section of the Metrolink River Subdivision was built new in 1993 (?), it is on the footprint of the former UP main line and uses the old UP bridge over 14th St.

Date: 06/03/20 23:28
Author: Ivar

The portion of track between SCRRA Jct. (UP) and West Riverside (BNSF) has often been referred to as a “no man’s land”. It once was part of the Metrolink River Sub, then was put on the Perris Valley Sub page and currently is shown as Rule 6.28 trackage (Other than main track). They don’t know what to do with it!

Date: 06/04/20 11:17
Author: virgil

Metrolink train #406, (LAUPT to Riverside via the U.P)., instead of tying up in Riverside, after dropping off all there passengers in Riverside has contined on to San Bernardino (Metrolink yard at Rana)  via BNSF.  It runs as a deadhead train from Riverside to the Metrolink Yard.  I've seen #406's train leaving Riverside, and again going through Highgrove.many times over the last few months.  It's the only passenger train you'll see running on the north track (Main No.1) between Riverside and Highgrove.

Date: 06/10/20 08:55
Author: commissioner

Thanks for the responses! Follow up question if I may. I'm trying to figure out what Metrolink trains become what trains that terminate at Riverside Downtown, i.e train 700 turns into 711? Thanks in advance

Mark Kennebeck
Saint Paul, MN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds