Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Question re hi-rail

Date: 06/22/20 23:26
Question re hi-rail
Author: Hartington

Hi-rail vehicles carry road licensing but I've never see a railroad reporting mark on one (I could well have missed it). Do they need reporting marks and if not why not?

Date: 06/23/20 03:40
Re: Question re hi-rail
Author: czephyr17

They are work equipment, not common carrier rail cars subject to AAR interchange rules or FRA regulations.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/23/20 05:13
Author: PlyWoody

All track cars ans auto hi-rail have an assigned number which the dispatcher records to give authority for operation. Not required to show it on the vehicle but Chief Dispatch regulates so their is no duplication of numbers.

Date: 06/23/20 06:21
Author: monaddave

When handing out authority to be on-track (on most railroads??), the dispatcher issues it to the employee in charge, usually the driver of the vehicle. 
Dave in Msla

Date: 06/23/20 09:19
Author: Chico43

monaddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When handing out authority to be on-track (on most
> railroads??), the dispatcher issues it to the
> employee in charge, usually the driver of the
> vehicle. 
> Dave in Msla

That's how they do it on the Class I that I worked for. Track, time and limits is granted to the employee requesting the authority and any ID of the vehicle that the employee is operating is not included in the granted authority.

Date: 06/23/20 10:02
Author: trainjunkie

Not only that but the authority usually covers all the on-track vehicles in the gang, not just the one the EIC is in.

Date: 06/23/20 10:39
Author: Rathole

Who does this?  I dispatched trains and issued track authorities for MofW on three railroads and we only used the person's name.  Toward the end of my career that person was titled RWIC (name) for Roadway Worker In Charge.   The chief dispatcher had nothing to do with it.

================================================================================================================================== 

PlyWoody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All track cars ans auto hi-rail have an assigned
> number which the dispatcher records to give
> authority for operation. Not required to show it
> on the vehicle but Chief Dispatch regulates so
> their is no duplication of numbers.

Date: 06/23/20 12:09
Author: SD45X

BNSF uses HLCS. Hi Railers give a vehicle or vehicles number to the DS and are covered by his authority. Common to hear the DS asking where a vehicle is as its showing outside limits and the MOW guy replying they have issues with that vehicle.

Date: 06/23/20 12:28
Author: choodude

NORAC Rules railroads can give "running order" paperwork that does require a vehicle ID.  Usually the railroad vehicle fleet id number was used.  One advantage of using the running order lines of the standard form was that there was no need to do additional paperwork when the move was finished.

Edit:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/norac-form-d.73339/

The second post is a picture of a NORAC Form D

The TO: line would need the Foreman or Conductor's name and the piece of equipment number.

Line 2 is the running order part.  Line 3 was always used as well or you were stuck doing restricted speed all the way.

Brian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/20 15:40 by choodude.

Date: 06/23/20 13:36
Author: Hartington

I think what I'm getting at the moment is that a hi-rail vehicle may or may not have a number/ID assigned by the owner (which may not be a railroad e.g. Sperry?) and that number/ID may or may not be shown on the vehicle.
Some railroads issue authority based on a number/ID others the operating employee.
In other words, there is no general rule, it all "depends".
Thank you.

Date: 06/23/20 17:51
Author: Kemacprr

Conrail Hi rail vehicles all had an ID number. I owned a ex Conrail Hi Rail 1984 GMC Suburban for a number of years that I used on Narcoa trips. It's Conrail number was B 7120X -------  Ken 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds