Home Open Account Help 199 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Train heard passing my phone in Shoemaker Canyon

Date: 06/27/20 19:04
Train heard passing my phone in Shoemaker Canyon
Author: dtoeppen

The mesa/butte thing to the right of the highway off in the distance is Wagon Mound, a landmark well known to users of the Santa Fe trail. It is visible from much of ATSF between about Watrous and Springer.

Figuring out where and when signals are triggered is kind of frustrating. I need to know when a signal drops so I can shoot it moving. 

First pass at a solution was the Red October method: recording videos of semaphores simultaneously at different locations then piecing the timing puzzle together. Using departure time from RAT or LSV, I was able to get a few good, timely shots. But travel time variance, even for short route segments, makes this method impractical.

Second pass was using human spotters. This works great, but not so much if they're not willing to travel out of their own town to spot.

Third pass was finally tested successfully yesterday and today after many failures. I leave a phone near the edge of right of way of road that parallels tracks. Then I travel to the signal I'm filming and wait.

This method doesn't work (between LSV and RAT) with sprint, straighttalk, or verizon. The coverage for all three carriers is so spotty that call would inevitably drop between starting call and driving to the place I wanted to shoot. I went back to wal-mart and bought two att prepaid phones, and now i'm golden. This morning, I detected a train at blue dumpster road, just north of colmor, from my location way down the line. This afternoon, I detected a train in Shoemaker Canyon while I was on my way to Wagon Mound.

The video shows detection of train in Shoelmaker Canyon. When the train passes, you don't hear much. The phone's noise cancelling circuitry turns the level way down right after locomotives pass. But it's clear that you've just heard a train, and that's all I need to know to get the shot. Next time I just need to start earlier so I get to my signal before train passes the trigger point.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/20 20:23 by dtoeppen.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/27/20 19:59
Re: Train passing my phone in Shoemaker Canyon
Author: 1Train2Many

We have watched this video and we don't see the train anywhere.  Where is it?  We would please like to see.  Thanks!

Date: 06/27/20 20:22
Author: dtoeppen

This video is for the blind users. 

If you're a seeing customer, you can see the train that is heard over the phone here: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5053043

1Train2Many Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We have watched this video and we don't see the
> train anywhere.  Where is it?  We would please
> like to see.  Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/20 20:23 by dtoeppen.

Date: 06/28/20 18:30
Author: DivergingClear

It's amazing the lengths you are going to to film these signals. Thanks for sharing your techniques (and the results!).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds