Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > PNW Questions

Date: 07/07/20 15:16
PNW Questions
Author: z-trains

If Covid eases up a bit I'm planning on spending a week up in Everett with some friends during the first week of August, and I had a couple of questions about general PNW railfanning and a few spots in particular.

1: The BNSF Columbia River Bridge at Rock Island, Washington seems to be pretty close to the road on both sides of the river but a bit difficult to access, has anyone attempted to get back to it recently? There's an exceptionally good view of eastbounds from the northeast corner of the bridge but I didn't want to drive over 100 miles if it wasn't accessible.

2: Looking at "the" shot west of Puyallup with Mt. Rainier in the background and was wanting to get a Sounder train there, do Sounder engines generally face southward, or does it vary?

3: What are traffic levels like on the Oregon Trunk subdivision currently? I was looking into staying overnight in Redmond on my way up to get a train crossing over the Crooked River bridge and didn't know what to expect in terms of traffic.

4: Are there any road-accessible, scenic locations on the Scenic subvision besides the Cascade Tunnel?

Thanks!

-Zach

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/20 15:16 by z-trains.

Date: 07/07/20 19:55
Re: PNW Questions
Author: MP555

z-trains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Covid eases up a bit I'm planning on spending a
> week up in Everett with some friends during the
> first week of August,

It won't.

Date: 07/07/20 21:26
Author: P

MP555 Wrote:
> z-trains Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If Covid eases up a bit I'm planning on spending
> a
> > week up in Everett with some friends during the
> > first week of August,
>
> It won't.

Not until about November 5th

Posted from Android

Date: 07/07/20 21:32
Author: walstib

I shoot along that stretch east of Wenatchee at Rock Island with some frequency, and I’ve yet to find a good angle on the bridge itself.

I’ve scouted both sides of the river and so far haven’t found anything I like. There could be something I’m missing, so I, too, would be interested in good angles.

That said, there are a bunch of other good spots in that area, including a shot with the Rock Island sign by the tracks.

That giant industrial complex there (not sure what it was) is poised for redevelopment. There’s a big sign outlining the plan to transform it from a dilapidated rust bucket to some trendy by-the-river development. It offers some photo possibilities, as the tracks run right in front of it.

I should probably dedicate some time to shooting and exploring at Rock Island. Usually it’s a hit-and-run location for me, as I’m chasing a train through there.

The new development at Spanish Castle (between Rock Island and Crescent Bar) offers a few interesting angles.

If you’re looking for bridge shots in the Wenatchee area, don’t overlook the Wenatchee River bridge at Dryden, between Cashmere and Leavenworth.

Accessibility is good, and it’s a handsome bridge with a flowing river below. I think it’s more photogenic than the bridge at Rock Island.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/07/20 21:37

I would be remiss if I didn’t put in a plug for Sage Hills Bakery in Wenatchee.

Great place for fresh-baked goodies, and bread. They have some tasty breakfast offerings in the mornings, and a fine selection of sandwiches for lunch.

Their scones melt in your mouth, which is a great alternative to the hockey-puck scones that are like rocks.

Right now they’re only open Wednesday through Saturday due to COVID, but it’s worth the visit.

The bakery is on Wenatchee Avenue ( in the same complex as a bank) right across the street from the nicer of the Best Westerns in Wenatchee.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/08/20 06:35
Author: BAB

P Wrote:
> MP555 Wrote:
> -----
> > z-trains Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > If Covid eases up a bit I'm planning on
> spending
> > a
> > > week up in Everett with some friends during
> the
> > > first week of August,
> >
> > It won't.
>
> Not until about November 5th
>
> Posted from Android

Figures you are one of the doubters but need to take the blinders off and look at other countries. One has never done anything about it and just let it go. The result is terrable in every way adjusted figures by population the are 40% worse than the USA with virus problems, economices show they are doing worse adjusted against the USA, unemployment the same deal.  So seems your statement reguarding the election changing things is just another normal TO reponse, DUMB and unenformed head in the sand statement. Dont like my attitude tough.

Date: 07/08/20 06:38
Author: BAB

Oh and while wandering around the Wenatchee area on foot they have another feature, rattle snakes, yes one of the eastern WA pets found in rocks everywhere. Used to live east of there know them well.

Date: 07/08/20 08:33

Why can’t you guys keep your partisan political shots holstered and stay on topic?

Have you nothing better to do with your time?

This is exactly the kind of crap that repels me, and I suspect others, from posting and participating here more frequently.

The original poster asked some very specific questions — about trains.

Nobody cares what you have to say about the November election, COVID, or anything else that doesn’t have to do with the question at hand.

The original poster would be better off asking his questions in one of the PNW rail groups on Facebook. Folks there are helpful, knowledgeable, and can keep a discussion on topic.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/08/20 09:05
Author: z-trains

walstib Wrote:
> Why can’t you guys keep your partisan political
> shots holstered and stay on topic?
>
> Have you nothing better to do with your time?
>
> This is exactly the kind of crap that repels me,
> and I suspect others, from posting and
> participating here more frequently.
>
> The original poster asked some very specific
> questions — about trains.
>
> Nobody cares what you have to say about the
> November election, COVID, or anything else that
> doesn’t have to do with the question at hand.
>
> The original poster would be better off asking his
> questions in one of the PNW rail groups on
> Facebook. Folks there are helpful, knowledgeable,
> and can keep a discussion on topic.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Yeah I think I'll take my questions there. My apologies for expecting people on this site to not be idiots, lol.

Thanks for all of the info Walstib! I definitely want to check out the loops at Trinidad as well so I'll probably try and get a chase set up between Wenatchee and there. Is the shot east of Rock Island with the dam in the background a safe one to stay at? Seems to be right along the highway and I didn't see a pullover for it.

-Zach

Date: 07/08/20 09:15

There are a few safe places to pull off the road east of the dam, on the right as you’re headed west.

They’re uphill a little bit, but offer a few good vantage points. The biggest obstacle is the fence between the tracks and the road.

Be sure to check out the new-ish concrete bridge over the tracks just past East Trinidad as you head east. You can’t see the curvy part of the loop itself, but there are good coming and going shots. And, if you wait 4 or 5 minutes after the head end of an eastbound passes under the bridge, you’ll see the train appear on the ridge on the next hill over. It’s kind of cool.

I should also note Spanish Castle offers some good unobstructed shots of the tracks along the river. The new, paved road from the highway makes access pretty easy.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/08/20 09:28
Author: TCnR

For what it's worth it seems to me the most practical angle for the bridge is from the side of the road, looking to the west, when I checked it out it seems to be a real bear to find a spot to pull over. That also puts it into some odd lighting conditions, I was thinking a morning shot. There's a number of photos in the GN books of the bridge which suggest the photographer location but those compositions rely on the subject to make the photo. Seems like one of those situations where you need a good zoom lens to try to work in as many compositions from the same spot as possible, or maybe two cameras. I tried to find a spot on the south side but wasn't comfortable for some reason.

The Loops are interesting but need some research to know where to stand, I kinda remember a couple of road crossings and some detectors being nearby to monitor. There is/was a TO post about the location, probably from Funnelfan, or maybe on his website. For a while I thought the Wenatchee area was viable for photos, but the last time I was there the crews were required to call in photographers so I moved on.

Redmond seems to be a decent midpoint, but it's a bear to get across the main road which puts it into the drive everywhere scenario. The hotels have changed brand names since I did any research on it. The Crooked River bridge is a worthy photo location, I thought afternoon and walk all the way around on the concrete sidewalk ( not real sure that it's still accessible though ). Seem to remember a big deal about fencing and keeping away from the RR property, and also the Dude Ranch next door. The Rest area is usually full of travellers and some neer-do-wells.

+ Good info from Walstib. The OT was fun until they built all those houses, here's my OT photos in case you have time, there's lots of other location I haven't been into yet:
https://pbase.com/clivew/bn_oregon_trunk

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/20 09:42 by TCnR.

Date: 07/08/20 10:57
Author: Jeff

If you are from out of the region you might not be aware that in lots of areas there are ticks, going off pavement suggests awareness and some kind of method of removing ticks when found.  Jeff

Date: 07/09/20 13:47
Author: wirelessenabled

I 100% agree.  Plenty of places to post your political views.  Trainorders should not be one of them.

walstib Wrote:
> Why can’t you guys keep your partisan political
> shots holstered and stay on topic?
>
> Have you nothing better to do with your time?
>
> This is exactly the kind of crap that repels me,
> and I suspect others, from posting and
> participating here more frequently.
>
> The original poster asked some very specific
> questions — about trains.
>
> Nobody cares what you have to say about the
> November election, COVID, or anything else that
> doesn’t have to do with the question at hand.
>
> The original poster would be better off asking his
> questions in one of the PNW rail groups on
> Facebook. Folks there are helpful, knowledgeable,
> and can keep a discussion on topic.
>
> Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0842 seconds