Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Derailment on BNSF in Centralia, WA

Date: 07/20/20 10:29
Derailment on BNSF in Centralia, WA
Author: wjpyper

A BNSF freight derailed in Centralia, Washington late Sunday afternoon just before 5 pm north of Tower Avenue and 5th Street. No one was injured and no hazardous materials were spilled. The train is blocking North Pearl Street and B Street. North Tower Avenue and B Street could be closed for up to 3 days.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 07/20/20 10:36
Re: Derailment on BNSF in Centralia, WA
Author: MILWRF

I believe this was on Puget Sound and Pacific trackage in Centralia, maybe somebody can confirm or deny that.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/20/20 10:40
Author: mapboy

That must have been scary if those people were home!  The BNSF/UP/AMTK main is open, but access to PSAP is blocked.

mapboy

Edit: BNSF track chart shows PSAP trackage starting in the middle of that leg of the wye, also a lesser part of the other leg.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/20 10:47 by mapboy.

Date: 07/20/20 10:42
Author: rbenko

I wonder what percentage of stringlining incidents involve empty centerbeam flats?  Probably pretty darn high...

Date: 07/20/20 10:43
Author: bearease

Exactly why I don't stand track-side anymore, and why, if not for other reasons as well, I wouldn't ever live that close to the tracks!

Date: 07/20/20 10:44
Author: SooGuy64

Looks like a stringline job to me.  Appears to be on the spur going to the PSAP.  Local news feed from KOMO TV:

https://komonews.com/news/local/train-derails-in-centralia-blocking-streets

Date: 07/20/20 12:34
Author: DRGW5502

Yard sale.

Date: 07/20/20 15:23
Author: MEKoch

Mom, I am going to play in the yard.........

Date: 07/20/20 16:00
Author: The-late-EMD

If you do stand trackside, at least stand on the high side.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/20/20 16:36
Author: santafe199

Nahhhh..... I ain't buying it! This is just an N-scale model RR somebody did one heckuva detailing, weathering & lighting job with!   :^)

Lance/199

Date: 07/20/20 21:23
Author: Barstool

This kind of derailment would not happen if the train was blocked right, spotting emties center sils from 30 cars back on a 150 plus train is asking for trouble,, BNSF had the same problem on the Tehaps not long ago when five emty container cars pancaked.........

Date: 07/20/20 21:47
Author: SooGuy64

This was a BNSF train I believe under the control of the PSAP.  Best guess is that BNSF built the train but since it was under PSAP control who takes the hit for the damage, the Class 1 or the short line?

Date: 07/20/20 22:03
Author: roustabout

Portland & Western has had at least two stringline derailments.  In Albany, the headend cut of empty centerbeams was pulled off the rails and hit a house and a car.  Even earlier, they had a train stall on Rex Hill going north, long train with a cut of empty log cars in the middle.  The engineer reefed on the throttle to try to get it started (or at least that's what I heard happened) and pulled those log cars off.  Didn't help that there was a cut of loads behind the log cars.

Date: 07/20/20 22:24
Author: Hookdragkick

Centerbeam builders rejoice!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/21/20 14:45
Author: shadetree

Proper train makeup has went the way of the do-do bird.

Eng.Shadetree

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0661 seconds