Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Odd unit tank car train on Tehachapi

Date: 08/01/20 23:49
Odd unit tank car train on Tehachapi
Author: bradleymckay

Wb BNSF unit tank car train went by the Tehachapi Depot cam at 7:33pm PDT. No buffer cars, run as a 2x3x2, mostly older UTLX and GATX tank cars. One of the DPU's was the 5008.

Can anybody look this train up and provide a symbol and/or commodity?Certainly didn't look like an oil train with no buffer cars.

TIA

Allen

Posted from Android

Date: 08/02/20 00:24
Re: Odd unit tank car train on Tehachapi
Author: pdt

Heavy sour crude for the refineries down by wilmington, CA?  AFAIK, it usually goes by pipeline, but maybe the pipeline is OOS right now for some reason..

Date: 08/02/20 02:09
Author: DGOLDE

If this train was a westbound loaded oil train it is not heading to Wilmington, CA.  It is most liking heading to one of the bay area refineries.  Of couse if the train is an eastbound loaded oil train then Wilmington, CA makes sense.  It is my understanding that when the oil cans on the coast stopped running that the oil from the San Ardo area was trucked to an oil pipeline terminal in Bakersfield and then move by pipeline to Wilmington.  

Date: 08/02/20 03:24
Author: EricSP

When the Oil Cans operated out of Mojave they had water filled tankcars as buffer cars. This train may have had tankcars as buffer cars.

Date: 08/02/20 04:54
Author: sp8234

Was an odd train. It looked like only 1 buffer car behind the 1st 2 locos. It looks like an Ethanol or Oil train that I missed yesterday but it never made it to the loop Camera in daylight. The Camera at Cable has better shots of it but can't make out #s
Its nice to run the cameras but can only do it for 12 hours back to catch something but thanks for asking the ? as I have a model (Athearn) of this type of train.
We are talking about the Youtube Cameras at the Tehachapi Depot, Cable & the Tehachapi Loop. 
They are a great way to kill time & see trains without leaving the house. 

Tim
Hanesworth

Date: 08/02/20 09:56
Author: mapboy

My guess is a U CBXLVP0 07T.  I saw 04T (107 cars) by Barstow on 7/23/20, 05T (106 cars) on Su 7/26, guessing 06T on 7/29 and 07T on 8/1.  That would make it the 7th trip of the year.  CBX is Carlsbad, NM.  LVP is Levee, CA, Plains All American on SJVR.   They've had buffer cars before, so where are they?  How many cars were on this train?

mapboy

Date: 08/02/20 10:41
Author: bradleymckay

Here's the surprising symbol:

G WMSKIN4 29

I would think it has to be some kind of liquid animal feed to be given a "G" symbol.

Allen

Posted from Android

Date: 08/02/20 11:10
Author: sums007

bradleymckay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the surprising symbol:
>
> G WMSKIN4 29
>
> I would think it has to be some kind of liquid
> animal feed to be given a "G" symbol.
>
> Allen
>
> Posted from Android

A "4" suffix indicates fertilizer, according to the list I have.  Unless it's changed, WMS is Williams, OK.  On Google Maps, I couldn't even find a railroad in or near Williams, OK.  Go figure.

Date: 08/02/20 11:28
Author: callum_out

There has been running liquid fertilizer traffic out of the Fort Madison area to Hanford, older tanks, no buiffer cars.

Out 

Date: 08/02/20 11:40
Author: cctgm

Williams is the Port of Catosoa OK near Tulsa OK and there is a large nitrogen fertilizer plant there that makes UN32 liquid fertilizer.

Date: 08/02/20 14:21
Author: callum_out

Interesting, second origination I hadn't seen, good stuff, thanks for the heads up.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0327 seconds