Home Open Account Help 190 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Winona, MN

Date: 08/07/20 07:42
Winona, MN
Author: Soo715

I've been trying to figure out some of the current rail operations in my newly adopted summer home of Winona, Minnesota. The timing of the UP trains, LTA41 and LTA42 between Winona and Adams, Wisconsin seems to now be random, no longer on the regular twice a week (Tues/Fri eastbound) schedule mentioned in previous T.O. posts. According to a CP worker, they now run just as needed. Seems it might just be going once a week? Anyone got a line on when to expect these trains?

Have observed the CP #471 a couple times, the westbound train that is the RCP&E connection, which works and changes crews in the Winona area. That also seems to now be less than daily, it didn't run yesterday for instance. But when I have seen it, it has been a long train.

Lots of other interesting traffic around town, the CP local using an old Soo caboose (#30), some street running, lots of industrial trackage still in use.

There doesn't seem to be hardly any interchange these days between CN and BNSF across the river at East Winona (Bluff Siding). I guess the CN isn't exactly abandoned but there doesn't seem to currently be any traffic.

One positive new area development, there is a new bicycle bridge over the BNSF mainline, running from Latsch Island over to Highway 35 which provides some nice overhead views of the BNSF action.  I'll try to post some photos soon.

Any other T.O. members spend much time in Winona? It's a very nice location with the river, bluffs, old industries....

Date: 08/07/20 10:22
Re: Winona, MN
Author: commissioner

Soo715 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been trying to figure out some of the current
> rail operations in my newly adopted summer home of
> Winona, Minnesota. The timing of the UP trains,
> LTA41 and LTA42 between Winona and Adams,
> Wisconsin seems to now be random, no longer on the
> regular twice a week (Tues/Fri eastbound) schedule
> mentioned in previous T.O. posts. According to a
> CP worker, they now run just as needed. Seems it
> might just be going once a week? Anyone got a line
> on when to expect these trains?
>
> Have observed the CP #471 a couple times, the
> westbound train that is the RCP&E connection,
> which works and changes crews in the Winona area.
> That also seems to now be less than daily, it
> didn't run yesterday for instance. But when I have
> seen it, it has been a long train.
>
> Lots of other interesting traffic around town, the
> CP local using an old Soo caboose (#30), some
> street running, lots of industrial trackage still
> in use.
>
> There doesn't seem to be hardly any interchange
> these days between CN and BNSF across the river at
> East Winona (Bluff Siding). I guess the CN isn't
> exactly abandoned but there doesn't seem to
> currently be any traffic.
>
> One positive new area development, there is a new
> bicycle bridge over the BNSF mainline, running
> from Latsch Island over to Highway 35 which
> provides some nice overhead views of the BNSF
> action.  I'll try to post some photos soon.
>
> Any other T.O. members spend much time in Winona?
> It's a very nice location with the river, bluffs,
> old industries....

I grew up in Wabasha, just north of Winona, on the Minnesota side of the Mississippi.. I believe the CN-BNSF interchange in East Winona was double stack traffic for Ashley Furniture in Arcadia, but that disappeared years ago. I doubt anything is interchanged there anymore other than sand trains and even that's a big if. I'll have to check out the bike bridge next time I'm there.

Mark Kennebeck
Saint Paul, MN

Date: 08/07/20 18:10
Re: Winona, MN
Author: BigSkyBlue

CN has not operated a train west of Arcadia, WI on the ex-GB&W for a long time.   Arcadia to East Winona is up for abandonment, but I don't know the status of that.  BSB 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds