Home Open Account Help 89 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Do 28 locomotives count as a "light power" move on BNSF?

Date: 08/07/20 19:51
Do 28 locomotives count as a "light power" move on BNSF?
Author: JoCoLB

For years, I have occasionally spotted "light power" on various railroads, but it usually was a combo of 2, 4, 5 --- even up to 12 locomotives (without trailing cars) being re-positioned. for various reasons.

Thanks to a tip by a fellow railfan at Clements, Kan., Friday afternoon (Aug. 7, 2020), I was able to set up for an intercept of 28 BNSF Railway locomotives on the Emporia Sub. at Edgerton, Kan., about 40 miles southwest of Kansas City, Kan

The 28-engine consist reportedly was headed northeast from Oklahoma City, Okla., to Albia, Iowa. I haven't really pinned down the purpose of the large move of locomotives but some are speculating most of these older units pictured will soon be sold off or scrapped.

Enjoy the video ciip. Thanks for watching.

Larry Byers, Gardner, KS

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/07/20 20:33
Re: Do 28 locomotives count as a "light power" move on BNSF?
Author: SooGuy64

Good catch.  25 of them appear to be part of the 4772-4999 lot that BNSF has returned as their leases have expired.  Going to Iowa my guess is they will be overhauled and leased out to whoever wants them.  BNSF has more than enough DC power for future needs.

Date: 08/07/20 20:43
Author: swingnose

Well it’s set up DP and restricted to 45 mph.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/08/20 03:44
Author: BigDave

I think I saw this same lash-up this week on a Virtual Railfan 'grab-bag' video on YouTube, at a couple different locations - I'm thinking it was Galesburg and Fort Madison. Don't think a 28-unit move is that common.

Date: 08/08/20 07:54
Author: ntharalson

Not taken at "Larry's Lookout"?  Stunning!  Concur with lease returns.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 08/08/20 08:22
Author: Habu

SooGuy64 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good catch.  25 of them appear to be part of the
> 4772-4999 lot that BNSF has returned as their
> leases have expired.  Going to Iowa my guess is
> they will be overhauled and leased out to whoever
> wants them.  BNSF has more than enough DC power
> for future needs.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/08/20 08:37
Author: Habu

SooGuy64 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good catch.  25 of them appear to be part of the
> 4772-4999 lot that BNSF has returned as their
> leases have expired.  Going to Iowa my guess is
> they will be overhauled & leased out to whoever
> wants them.

You’re definitely correct in that 25 are part of the group of 185 units that were returned to the lessor.

I’d wager that they’re going to Iowa for storage. With the combined effects of PSR and the economic slowdown, I wouldn’t expect another road to pick them up anytime soon. Look at the 100 CitiRail ES44ACs returned by BNSF back in January — they’re still stored.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/08/20 18:35
Author: JoCoLB

I'm told by a reliable source that this was a 2x1 setup with 25 dead units and a 45 mph speed restriction. 

Date: 08/09/20 11:53
Author: fbe

Both the independent and automatic braking systems are horribly slow to apply and release. Maybe the DP set up helps. At something over 150 tons per operative brake this is a train handling challenge.

I thought most railroads only allowed 12 units to be coupled at any time? Any Supt can throw that out on a whim though. This consist would be a horrendous load on a long tall trestle over 100 years old now.

Date: 08/09/20 14:13
Author: The-late-EMD

All GE'S. God is good.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/10/20 09:16
Author: mcdeo

As other's have mentioned, I'm wondering if these will ever turn another revenue mile. NS just dumped all of their SD70M's/SD70M-2's (DC power) (and their none converted to AC ones), that puts another 200ish units on the market. I'd also have to think, that since these Dash-9's are not Tier 2/3 rated, the CitiRail GEVO's and/or NS SD70m-2's would go back to work first. And the CitiRail are AC traction motored...so might be more desirable for some roads. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.057 seconds