Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > just another opportunity

Date: 08/08/20 08:57
just another opportunity
Author: santafe199

Growing up in Manhattan, KS time was when this 21 year-old railfan photographer had to work much harder to catch & shoot a train in my hometown. I always kept my camera in the car so after work I could go hang out downtown for a couple of hours, until my young missus got off from her job. I would always head for the UP depot because the Rock Island crossing was more or less located at the west end of the platform. Twice the number of RRs, twice the odds of catching a train. Especially since the Rock was much more unpredictable than Uncle Pete. And whatever I caught was by sheer dumb luck.

Nowadays at 65 I just get a text about some imminent train from my scanner-equipped, faithful “tag team” partner: Mr mg8711. I calculate the ETA for whatever location I wish to shoot at and depart the house in a timely manner. With a minimum of time & gasoline expended a positive result is nearly always ironclad.

I think I’ve been totally spoiled by today’s information technology. I could be noble and say something about the virtues of having to work for any opportunities I might have gotten in earlier times. About how railfanning was more honest & more pure “back in ’em days”.

(But you know what??? Spoiled is better… ;^)

1. & 2. A common sight these days, UP 5829 is solo on train SITP (Salina ~ Topeka).

3. The obligatory away shot. All three taken from the 56th St overpass east of Ogden, KS on August 6 2020.

Thanks for the technology!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

count-down to norman ah bates

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/20 08:58 by santafe199.

Date: 08/08/20 18:56
Re: just another opportunity
Author: texchief1

Nice, Lance!  Nice lighting and I really like the goiing away shot.

RC Lundgren

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds