Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF ES44C4s and BNSF ES44DCs

Date: 08/13/20 17:41
BNSF ES44C4s and BNSF ES44DCs
Author: texchief1

Are there any differences in appearance between BNSF ES44C4s  and BNSF ES44DCs besides the minor stuff on the trucks?

Thanks.

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 08/13/20 17:49
Re: BNSF ES44C4s and BNSF ES44DCs
Author: callum_out

Yes

Date: 08/13/20 18:05
Author: callum_out

Seriously, yes there are some differences, the ACs have access doors on the cabinet on the conductor's side, the db fan openings are different
between the two, and the radiator section area is also different.

Out 

Date: 08/13/20 18:06
Author: arizonaBNSF

The AC and DC gevos have a different panel arrangement on the conductors side invertor cabinet, right behind the cab. Since the C4s have AC motors, they have the same invertors as ES44ACs. Here's two pics to give you an idea of what they look like. 

1) ES44C4
2) ES44DC

Date: 08/13/20 18:08
Author: Mojacket

Yeah. There are a lot. 
C4s are all Tier 3 GEVOs with the same Radiator cab, but they have some differences within that group with the grab irons and handrails. Also they all have to front cab door on the engineer's side
http://trainiax.net/mescaleloco-results.php?build=GE&dtype=UT&type=ES44C4&rebuilt=N&lrtype=L&scale18=1&scale36=1&scale55=1

DCs are Tier 2 and 3 GEVOs, with different Rad cabs between Tier 2 and Tier 3 models. They also have different dynamic brake arrangements behind the cab between T2 and T3. Along with the front door. Tier 2 models have it on the conductor's side and some Tier 3 models have it over there too. I think that switched in 2009, but don't quote me on that. Also, the rear headlights are different between T2 and T3, and some early T3 have a extra grill, like a winterization hatch, over the aftercooler fans on the rad cab. DC models also have hatches on the inverter cabinet, while C4s are all panels. Not sure when DCs stopped using desktop controls, but all C4 come with the modified AAR control stand. 

The Rad cab differences are in grill arrangements and radiator grills. You can see them if you use that link I posted. 

Hope that answers your question.

texchief1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are there any differences in appearance between
> BNSF ES44C4s  and BNSF ES44DCs besides the minor
> stuff on the trucks?
>
> Thanks.
>
> RC Lundgren
> Elgin, TX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/20 18:10 by Mojacket.

Date: 08/13/20 18:36
Author: icancmp193

For us oldsters the differences are tough to spot. But then again, many young folk probably can't tell the difference among a GP7, GP9, and GP18.

TJY

Date: 08/13/20 22:52
Author: MitchGDRMCo

Easy. 28 myself.

icancmp193 Wrote:
> For us oldsters the differences are tough to spot.
> But then again, many young folk probably can't
> tell the difference among a GP7, GP9, and GP18.
>
> TJY

Date: 08/15/20 10:43
Author: pbouzide

I like this analogy.

Being more into the operational and economic aspects than the locomotive detail aspect I don't care that much except that I do pay attention to the operational diffferences between AC and DC power, as well as the difference between 4 and 6 motor AC power.

icancmp193 Wrote:
> For us oldsters the differences are tough to spot.
> But then again, many young folk probably can't
> tell the difference among a GP7, GP9, and GP18.
>
> TJY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds